Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Late season pheasants - Full choke? Modified?

Default Late season pheasants - Full choke? Modified?

I struggle getting my gun mounted, this due to 40% of my shoulder missing, no deltoid muscle, extra fall clothing and gloves. A bit of a handicap...

Question: I'm currently using imp cyl., 20 ga. or 12 ga. Both guns are slow/difficult getting proper mount.

Given the extra time it takes to mount, should I switch to modified or full. Can't use magnum shells - too much impact on the shoulder.

Comments anyone? Suggestions?

Thanks!

Try an Improved Modified with # 4 shot (lead) or #2 shot (steel) depending on where you are hunting.

That's really a subjective thing w/ a lot of variables. Typical range; what you feel your max effective range is (how far out you can hit 'em); load/gun/choke pattern combination; single-barrel or double-barrel; etc. I shoot a modified in my 16 almost all the time, & feel it's appropriate since I like to be able to reach out 40+ yards at any given time. But come mid-December if the birds aren't willing to give me closer shots, I'll switch to full. 870 raises good points. I-M may be a good compromise. If you're going to be taking longer shots, you not only need to maintain pattern density, but you need to have loads that'll give you the necessary pellet energy to penetrate. This typically means #4/#5 lead or #2/#3 steel (& fast steel no less than 1400 or 1450 fps).

Because I''m slower to mount, the shots are farther away, hence the switch to Mod or full. I don't have a mod/imp in my choke selection. #4 or 5 lead seems reasonable, 1 1/8 oz?

Will try both the mod and full. Thanks!

Maybe cuz I'm almost 80 things are slowing down. Good excuse!

With 1 1/8oz loads, I would stay with 5s to get adequate density. 191(5s)vs 152(4s) approximately. I'd think the 5s would be adequate to 50yrs on packing enough energy, but I'm not sure how much farther you plan to shoot.....I'm gonna say FULL so you can take your time and not feel like you have to hurry yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by jonnyB View Post
    Because I''m slower to mount, the shots are farther away, hence the switch to Mod or full. I don't have a mod/imp in my choke selection. #4 or 5 lead seems reasonable, 1 1/8 oz?

You not only have an excuse for slowing down, but you have an excuse to BUY something!!! An improved-modified aftermarket choke tube!! It's between modified & full. And even if you never use it, who cares? Carlson's makes a reasonably priced, quality product.

That said, if you don't feel like buying new stuff, I'd stick with modified unless you think a significant amount of shooting is going to be over 40 yards. Then try full. In 12 gauge, I'd go 1-1/4 oz unless you think that might beat you up too much. But remember recoil increases as velocity increases too. So if you go 1-1/8 oz, I'd still try to keep the muzzle velocity down there around 1,250-1,330 fps.

Quote Originally Posted by A5 Sweet 16 View Post
    You not only have an excuse for slowing down, but you have an excuse to BUY something!!! An improved-modified aftermarket choke tube!! It's between modified & full. And even if you never use it, who cares? Carlson's makes a reasonably priced, quality product.

That said, if you don't feel like buying new stuff, I'd stick with modified unless you think a significant amount of shooting is going to be over 40 yards. Then try full. In 12 gauge, I'd go 1-1/4 oz unless you think that might beat you up too much. But remember recoil increases as velocity increases too. So if you go 1-1/8 oz, I'd still try to keep the muzzle velocity down there around 1,250-1,330 fps.
    Improved-modified:isn't that choke one step down from improved cyl? Confused.

Thanks for the input. Can't say I would shoot over 40 yds., so will try Mod.
    Last edited by jonnyB; 11-02-2017 at 03:56 PM.

Improved-modified:isn't that choke one step down from improved cyl? Confused.

Thanks for the input. Can't say I would shoot over 40 yds., so will try Mod.
    No. Choke designations don't necessarily make sense. Here they are in order from more open to more constricted:
    cylinder
    skeet
    improved cylinder
    light modified
    modified
    improved modified
    light full
    full
    extra full

Quote Originally Posted by A5 Sweet 16 View Post
    No. Choke designations don't necessarily make sense. Here they are in order from more open to more constricted:
    cylinder
    skeet
    improved cylinder
    light modified
    modified
    improved modified
    light full
    full
    extra full
    Thanks A5...never knew there were so many choices...some I've never heard of!

Would shortening the stock a little help in mounting the gun easier?

The reason I ask is sometimes a perfectly fitting stock when in shirt sleeves can become a little long when adding extra clothing or a coat and it can snag on the clothing. Not sure that is your issue or not, just a thought.

Regarding choke. If you are finding yourself slow to the mount I would most certainly move up to at least a Modified choke which will extend your effective range out another 10-15 yards from an IC.
    Last edited by birdshooter; 11-02-2017 at 08:26 PM.