Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Looking for a left hand Pheasant gun

Default Looking for a left hand Pheasant gun

I currently own a camo benelli M2 28" left hander. When I first started trap shooting I borrowed my buddies SBE 1 in left 26" which I really liked a lot. Now I'm looking for another gun, a dedicated field gun, and also to have a backup gun for myself if I go on an out of town trip. I hunt a good bit of public spots where it is non-tox shot only. I was looking at break action guns for a long time but eventually went away from that option as they are all right handed off the shelf(brownings are not neutral even if they say that). I'm going to take a look at the benelli montefeltro since it is one of the only left handed guns I can find, and I'm already familiar with the brand. Anyone else who is left eye dominant and has any suggestions I'd love to hear them.

Right handed , left eye dominant, shot left handed, I have changed the safety in all my auto loaders for left handed shooting - very simple.

Don’t like the spent shell going across your face I assume ? Or the gasses ?

Maybe too old school for most shooters nowadays, but he Ithaca M 37 pump ejects out the bottom so right or left handed shooters, no problem. Don't know about cast off or cast on; light weight field gun. Pumps are a different breed though and take a little time to get used to. Can be bought very reasonably nowadays. probably not good to use with steel shot.

Quote Originally Posted by markvan View Post
    Right handed , left eye dominant, shot left handed, I have changed the safety in all my auto loaders for left handed shooting - very simple.
    Yup, I'm in the same boat. I'm not as familiar with other brands. But wondering if most of the big name gun makers in auto loaders have shim kits similar to a benelli. I'm willing to switch a safety, and don't mind where the shell ejects, but I won't shoot a gun with cast and toe set for a right eye shooter. Everything you read, gun fit is very important.

You can't go wrong with a Benelli Montefeltro.
    Janee's August Breeze - Bree
    7/6/2016
    http://gundogcentral.com/view_pedigr...&generations=5

Godfather's Dakota Elle - Elle
    1X NSTRA Champion
    11/16/2008 - 11/22/2016
    http://gundogcentral.com/view_pedigr...&generations=5

Get the L.H. Montefeltro. I have one with the 26" barrel and it is my go to pheasant gun.

I am also a lefty shooting a right handed auto,Im thinking of purchasing a Beretta A400 xplor anybody have any experience with one ?

Quote Originally Posted by koda/kane View Post
    I am also a lefty shooting a right handed auto,Im thinking of purchasing a Beretta A400 xplor anybody have any experience with one ?
    I have this gun in left hand for waterfowl. It’s a great fit with the adjustable shims I set it to very close to my custom fit stock measurements that I had done for steam bending my OUs. Love the xplor for its toughness (I hutn a lot of salty mud flats) and reliability but I find it a “big” gun to handle for pheasant hunting.

Dave

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Peters View Post
    I currently own a camo benelli M2 28" left hander. When I first started trap shooting I borrowed my buddies SBE 1 in left 26" which I really liked a lot. Now I'm looking for another gun, a dedicated field gun, and also to have a backup gun for myself if I go on an out of town trip. I hunt a good bit of public spots where it is non-tox shot only. I was looking at break action guns for a long time but eventually went away from that option as they are all right handed off the shelf(brownings are not neutral even if they say that). I'm going to take a look at the benelli montefeltro since it is one of the only left handed guns I can find, and I'm already familiar with the brand. Anyone else who is left eye dominant and has any suggestions I'd love to hear them.
    I considered a lefty montefeltro and loved the fit and feel. If you like it and if it fits you in the lefty setup then I expect thats a great choice for you, especially if you are used to the brand. Is the location of the safety the same as on your other gun? I find that important when pheasant hunting. Once in a while if I’m out duck hunting with my semi (trigger guard safety) and I go for a walk afterwards for pheasant (for which I normally use my OU with thumb safety) i can be very slow to shoot at a flushes rooster as my thumb fumbles around for the safety and then I remember it’s on the trigger guard. I hunt a LOT more pheasants that ducks though.
    Anyhow, I think (and not just me!) fit is so important that it’s worth investing the time and money to get a shotgun that fits, whether you’re a southpaw or not. I had both my OUs steam bent for me to fit measurements that a skilled gunsmith took from me. It was a total game changer for me. I then adjusted my semi to have the same fit. So my guns point where I look, allowing me to focus on lead and follow-through. If I miss it’s because I failed at one of those two things, never that the gun shooting where i was intending.
    Cheers,
    Dave