Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hevi-Shot Hevi-Metal Pheasant Loads

Default Hevi-Shot Hevi-Metal Pheasant Loads

Do any of you have any experience with the Hevi-Shot Hevi-Metal pheasant loads? Looking to find a good, non-toxic round. If not, other recommendations on non-toxics?

-Pete

I have used Hevi—Metal #3s in my 20 gauge and had real good luck with them , I like #4 Bismuth a little better , both are 3inch loads with 1ounce of shot out of 20 gauge

DD838CC5-FCD7-4CF7-A311-28EF687593C5.jpeg

Ducks where taken with 3” #4 Bismuth 1 Oz of shot

For about $1.25 per shell, the Kent Bismuth is hard to beat for a high-quality non-toxic load. I prefer it to any steel load, by a country mile.

Kent Bismuth here. 16 ga. 1 oz. #5. 1300 fps. Work really well in most instances, although I wish they had #4's for real late when it's really cold & shots tend to get a bit longer.
    "Most pheasants in South Dakota don't react too well to #5s." -The Hunt for Red Rooster

Looks like I'll be trying Kent Bismuth next. I've got a 12 ga. OU. I'm leaning towards the 2 3/4" shells with 1 1/16 oz #5 shot. Might also get the 3" shells in the #5 for cold days.

If you do your part, you won't be disappointed with bismuth.
    "Most pheasants in South Dakota don't react too well to #5s." -The Hunt for Red Rooster

The original HEVI-Shot recipe that was actually heavier/denser than lead was an awesome pheasant load. Used to shoot 2 3/4" #5's out of open chokes. Those loads patterned pretty well, had good pellet counts and hit like #4 lead. Yes they were expensive but produced very few cripples & runners.

At some point several years ago HEVI started marketing multiple options and basically resisted publishing density data. Many thought they were (less than ethically) trying to steer hunters towards the cheaper-to-produce less dense loads. I certainly think that is possible since with HEVI Metal they claimed those shells to be 50% steel pellets & 50% HEVI Shot when in fact the non-steel pellets in the HEVI Metal loads were 10gm/cc vs. the 12gm/cc that is the original HEVI Shot loads. I stopped buying HEVI products because the only shells I could find that I felt confident were the original 12gm/cc recipe were the 3" magnum waterfowl loads.

I like #2 Steel loads for pheasants but have also done OK with #3's. If you go Bismuth I would want to shoot #4's (bismuth is 9.6 gm/cc vs. lead at 11.1) but I think the Kent upland loads only come in #5 & #6 shot. Probably could find #4's in a waterfowl load. Bismuth is a must if you are shooting an older gun.

HEVI Shot now markets HEVI X that can be purchased in 2 3/4 #4 loads. They are still slippery about what the density is though and kind of indirectly claim it to be similar to bismuth.

Below is a lethality chart that Tom Roster publishes.....

https://gf.nd.gov/hunting/nontoxic-shot-lethality
    Last edited by Downtown Bang!; 12-30-2018 at 02:39 PM.
    Chasing Roosters with a flushing dog on public land. As God intended.......

Quote Originally Posted by A5 Sweet 16 View Post
    If you do your part, you won't be disappointed with bismuth.
    I was shooting good ol steel when we were together. . Remember in the first GPA the bird I hit and came down to 8 feet and then regained his composure and hit the jets and flew a 1/2 mile? I wonder if the results wouldve been different ...

A separate factor in considering heavishot for me is their merchandising techniques.

When I was a moderator here, we had frequent gratuitous mentions of the products. I investigated a bit and found that the manufacturer was encouraging folks to spam other sites with the name of their product. In return, those who did so were put into a pool and winners s were awarded some prize.

Tacky and somewhat duplicitous, in my opinion.

(I don't believe that is the case here, but I always read all posts referring to their product VERY carefully. We're not here to tout products trying to sneak in a mention.)

Have a great new year.
    Kis
    For hunters, Fall is the island towards which we swim all year.