Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Hevi-Shot Hevi-Metal Pheasant Loads

You might look into Rogers Sporting Goods and the Federal Heavyweights, they have the 2 3/4 6's on sale. They aren't cheap, but they are 15 gm/cc and they are awesome on pheasant. I usually take 5-6 of these plus a few heavy metal 3's as backup if I need a few extra shells.

Rogers and Macks PW both have super prices on Hevishot. I was really impressed with the
    Hevishot Pheasant loads this FALL....

After doing more research on the matter I came across Boss Shotshells out of Michigan. While their branding is atrocious and website just as bad, the folks who use their stuff seem to love it. Mostly goose hunters from what I've found online, but seems like their stuff would be a great pheasant load too. They also don't publish any density numbers; I reached out to them today for density info. If you buy a case of 200 shells the price is cheaper than Kent Bismuth and there's free shipping. I'm sure HeviShot is "worth" it, but no matter how many times I run the numbers I just can't justify spending that much per shell. HeviMetal is appealing but I'm trying to avoid using steel if I can. I think Boss's 12 ga 3" 5s could be a great all purpose load for waterfowl, turkey, and pheasants. I'll planning to buy a box and do some extensive patterning and pellet counts.

Quote Originally Posted by pds794 View Post
    After doing more research on the matter I came across Boss Shotshells out of Michigan. While their branding is atrocious and website just as bad, the folks who use their stuff seem to love it. Mostly goose hunters from what I've found online, but seems like their stuff would be a great pheasant load too. They also don't publish any density numbers; I reached out to them today for density info. If you buy a case of 200 shells the price is cheaper than Kent Bismuth and there's free shipping. I'm sure HeviShot is "worth" it, but no matter how many times I run the numbers I just can't justify spending that much per shell. HeviMetal is appealing but I'm trying to avoid using steel if I can. I think Boss's 12 ga 3" 5s could be a great all purpose load for waterfowl, turkey, and pheasants. I'll planning to buy a box and do some extensive patterning and pellet counts.
    I saw where someone around here was killing geese at 40 yards with Boss 5s

I have been using Boss 5s in 20 ga on pheasants this year with good success, I don't hunt very much but I went 5 for 5 with those shells.

Buy the cheapest lead loads you can find, but make sure they are 1 1-4 oz. That will always work well.Never use game loads, except for huns.