Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Winter Storm Eboni???

Quote Originally Posted by A5 Sweet 16 View Post
    I feel so out of touch.
    Wear it as a badge of honor! The weather channel sucks....but I guess they do what they feel they need to sell advertising. Ebony pfft
    "We give dogs time we can spare, space we can spare and love we can spare. And in return, dogs give us their all. It's the best deal man has ever made." M.Facklam

Quote Originally Posted by Gatzby View Post
    Wear it as a badge of honor! The weather channel sucks....but I guess they do what they feel they need to sell advertising. Ebony pfft
    Thank you. I will. And on the "pfft" part! I don't visit TWC online & have been separated from cable TV et al for 11 years now. Rely solely on good ol' rabbit ears. Almost as liberating as my divorce 6 or 7 years ago from the cell service provider whose name starts w/ "V".
    "Most pheasants in South Dakota don't react too well to #5s." -The Hunt for Red Rooster

Here are the latest projected snow totals through Friday. Sounds like there's going to be plenty of wind with it, so things could get rather nasty later today & tomorrow.
    TOTALS_1545914141819_65985118_ver1.0_640_360.JPG
    "Most pheasants in South Dakota don't react too well to #5s." -The Hunt for Red Rooster

Looks like a good portion of eastern SD got 8"-12" while there were spots in the 12"-16" range. Sioux Falls got about 4".
    http://www.weatherstreet.com/weather...snow-cover.htm

Well, Winter Storm Eboni FINALLY cut down the birds' options in my neck of the woods & bunched them up. Hunted Sunday & Monday w/ a buddy & his 2 springers, neither of which would be classified as real effective hunters. One's 13 yrs old (never was great) & the other is 6 months & probably only hunted 6-8 times ever. But we sure found the birds on public land. Saw a lot of birds. Difficult, yes. But we got 4 each day & if a few things would've worked out a little different, probably could've shot limits. Really difficult weather conditions Monday, what w/ the tremendous wind & light snow & all. But we got 'em anyway. Also, as I knew already, the cattails in some areas are unbelievably dense this year & practically impassable by humans. Didn't have any issues breaking through ice, which is always a good thing.

Not sure what area of the state you plan to hunt but I would carefully check conditions. There has been a lot of snow and a lot of wind. Some roads could still be impassible and section lines would be for sure. Even getting into the field and walking might not be possible. I'm sure most cattail sloughs are full of snow and CPR fields are probably snow covered. I'm sure it was a tough storm on the birds.
    Janee's August Breeze - Bree
    7/6/2016
    http://gundogcentral.com/view_pedigr...&generations=5

Godfather's Dakota Elle - Elle
    1X NSTRA Champion
    11/16/2008 - 11/22/2016
    http://gundogcentral.com/view_pedigr...&generations=5

Quote Originally Posted by Dakotazeb View Post
    Not sure what area of the state you plan to hunt but I would carefully check conditions. There has been a lot of snow and a lot of wind. Some roads could still be impassible and section lines would be for sure. Even getting into the field and walking might not be possible. I'm sure most cattail sloughs are full of snow and CPR fields are probably snow covered. I'm sure it was a tough storm on the birds.
    Yeah, that's my thing. I'm planning on hunting the public ground around Mitchell, but I don't want to make the 12 hour drive and not be able to drive the country roads. If anybody has been out and can tell me how the roads are that would be great.

Thanks

Didn't get as far west as Mitchell, but hunted around Salem, Howard & Ramona. Roads were fine. Drifts here & there, but basically passable.