Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Rooster or Hen

The tail. Does not seem to have the distinct bars of a rooster:

20181226_065404.jpg

I killed a turkey last season that had zero spurs even though it had an 8+ inch full beard. When i say no spurs , there were no bumps or anything on the back of the legs. Slick red scale. It had some interesting wing color too , more brown than normal. Gobbled its head off though! Neat bird you shot. Where bouts in ND?

That's a neat bird. Thanks for sharing your photos.

According to Robertson (Biologist/author PHEASANTS) this bird is a hen. At some point her ovaries were damaged. The result of such damage is the hen pheasant taking on rooster characteristics.

I had this one come in last fall. Similar situation with both hen/rooster characteristics.

hen/rooster plumage by
    "Through license fees and excise tax on arms and gear, sportsmen contribute over $200 million per year for wildlife conservation programs" (U.S. fish and wildlife service)

http://www.pheasantfreaks.com

Central....

I have seen these referred to as Hermaphrodite pheasants. I have seen one other - that I passed because I thought it was a hen but a buddy shot it and got it mounted.

We saw quite a few similar birds in NW Kansas this fall. All had more "rooster" coloration than this one, but little or no indication of a spur. A few had a spur "bump", one had no spur at all. They were physically smaller and had little or no tail development. My guess is that they were from a very late hatch. Little or no chance of surviving the winter. I normally dress the bird leaving one leg for sex identification. These I left the head on.

Whatever it is, thank you for taking it out of the gene pool.

Saw one in Central ND a few years back that was mostly white (or super light brown) with the head and face color of a rooster. Came up between two of us. Before I could ask the other guy what that was , he asked me! It flew very awkwardly , makes me think it was defective or very under developed.

Quote Originally Posted by Gatzby View Post
    Bruce Jenner's sibling?
    That's funny!!!!!