Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Taking my sons to SD for the first time and looking for advice.

Thanks for the responses - we’ve been looking at weather forecast last week plus and it seems to keep getting worse the last few days so that will be deciding factor.

Also not looking for easy limits as we are use to spending a full day in Iowa to get a few birds although last year + has seen improved number of birds. I understand we could hit a game farm and shoot pen raised birds but I have no interest doing that - no offense to anyone.

Thanks again

My son and i hunted last week in north central SD, we had mild weather and saw a fair amount of birds. We hunted 4 days all public land and killed 12 birds. Birds were flighty, as mentioned temps were mild so birds were not just in the cattails. If the weather comes in you will have a tough hunt with snow depths and winds. Not surenhowbthe storm is tracking but i also hunted SC Nebraska and had good success on both quail and pheasant again on public land. Best of luck with your trip, regardless of the success of the hunt the time spent afield with yours sons is priceless and will create memories that will last a lifetime.
    River - 2 yr old English Setter
    http://gundogcentral.com/view_pedigr...&generations=5
    Bella - 4 yr old Brittany
    Ellie - 5 yr old Yellow Lab
    Jazi - 12/30/2005 -- 10/13/2017
    Kaci - 3/23/01 - -10/8/15

Quote Originally Posted by Miforester View Post
    My son and i hunted last week in north central SD, we had mild weather and saw a fair amount of birds. We hunted 4 days all public land and killed 12 birds. Birds were flighty, as mentioned temps were mild so birds were not just in the cattails. If the weather comes in you will have a tough hunt with snow depths and winds. Not surenhowbthe storm is tracking but i also hunted SC Nebraska and had good success on both quail and pheasant again on public land. Best of luck with your trip, regardless of the success of the hunt the time spent afield with yours sons is priceless and will create memories that will last a lifetime.
    Three dogs and two hunters, for four day's - 1.5 birds per hunter per day. Might do as well in Iowa and it sounds like it may be free!

Not all public land is productive no matter what state you are in. Find food and cover close to each other and you will find birds. Weather throws a wrench in every bodies plans but it can a great way to find birds! They will bunch up and when you find them it will be by the dozens! Be quiet, block them, think like a bird looking for escape and you might shoot a few. But it is fun to see them "boil" out of cover!

Quote Originally Posted by Rooster Hawk View Post
    Thanks for the responses - we’ve been looking at weather forecast last week plus and it seems to keep getting worse the last few days so that will be deciding factor.

Also not looking for easy limits as we are use to spending a full day in Iowa to get a few birds although last year + has seen improved number of birds. I understand we could hit a game farm and shoot pen raised birds but I have no interest doing that - no offense to anyone.

Thanks again
    Please take note of the warnings posters are pointing out to about weather hazards—-(Especially west river).
    That amount of snow with high winds not only can ruin a hunt—BUT be life threatening in that country—remoteness-poor to nonexistent cell service ect—

Also may want to consider—that some game farm time might be the best for your dog?

Quote Originally Posted by BRITTMAN View Post
    Hunting in parts of SD and ND can be remote and that "remoteness" ups a notch or two in December.

I always say when traveling in the Dakotas - you never pass an open gas station without topping off the gas tank. Especially true in winter.
    yep, I agree. Get a dependable, American truck, with 2 tanks, bfg tires.

The worst part of the storm is heavy winds, birds have had mild conditions for awhile, this would be an opportunity the way I see it if the winds would lay down, snow and cold can push the birds into heavy cover and under the right conditions they will hold tighter than opening day birds. All late season hunting is a gamble, weather, wild birds, cold, for whatever reason it is my favorite time to hunt, also Rooster hawk you are a cool dad for taking your kids hunting, if the weather won’t allow it there’s always next year. Although the glory days are likely behind us there is a tradition and ambience that only South Dakota can provide and it’s still the place to go to hunt pheasants in my opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by PTM View Post
    The worst part of the storm is heavy winds, birds have had mild conditions for awhile, this would be an opportunity the way I see it if the winds would lay down, snow and cold can push the birds into heavy cover and under the right conditions they will hold tighter than opening day birds. All late season hunting is a gamble, weather, wild birds, cold, for whatever reason it is my favorite time to hunt, also Rooster hawk you are a cool dad for taking your kids hunting, if the weather won’t allow it there’s always next year. Although the glory days are likely behind us there is a tradition and ambience that only South Dakota can provide and it’s still the place to go to hunt pheasants in my opinion.
    Well said PTM, couldnt agree more!
    River - 2 yr old English Setter
    Bella - 4 yr old Brittany
    Ellie - 5 yr old Yellow Lab
    Jazi - 12/30/2005 -- 10/13/2017
    Kaci - 3/23/01 - -10/8/15

yes well said PTM, I will be heading out that way for our last trip of the season to SD. Myself and 3 other die hards will be braving the weather and conditions Fri-Sun. I personally would go Rooster Hawk but that's my opinion and as the guys I hunt with say I am slightly nuts about pheasant hunting and it would take a act of god for me not to go. this storm should make for some interesting hunting, from the latest forecast where we will be they are calling for 8-10 inches which will make most if not all gravel roads a gamble and all the min maintenance roads un passable with the wind and drifting. But that's part of late season hunting and adds to the stories. Just make sure you come prepared with a shovel and plenty of tow strap/chain incase you do need to get pulled out of a road/ditch.

Quote Originally Posted by waterdog09 View Post
    yes well said PTM, I will be heading out that way for our last trip of the season to SD. Myself and 3 other die hards will be braving the weather and conditions Fri-Sun. I personally would go Rooster Hawk but that's my opinion and as the guys I hunt with say I am slightly nuts about pheasant hunting and it would take a act of god for me not to go. this storm should make for some interesting hunting, from the latest forecast where we will be they are calling for 8-10 inches which will make most if not all gravel roads a gamble and all the min maintenance roads un passable with the wind and drifting. But that's part of late season hunting and adds to the stories. Just make sure you come prepared with a shovel and plenty of tow strap/chain incase you do need to get pulled out of a road/ditch.
    Pick a nice motel, you will be there for most of your time. I -90 will be shut down, with that much snow and wind.