Thread: Cast Off in Stock Helps

Default Cast Off in Stock Helps

Usually miss straight away shots with my Citori. Started noticing I had to tilt my head way over to get the two beads to line up. Otherwise the forward bead was to the left of the rear. Brownings have no cast in the stock. Gun fitter recommended a 3/16" cast off. Big improvement.
    Last edited by BritChaser; 12-18-2018 at 12:34 PM.
    - From the office of Browning, Colt, Winchester & Savage
    - Kansas: Big Cock Country

I agree. I shoot southpaw, and getting my stock steam-bent to cast-on was life-changing. Old school gunsmith from Belgium now living on the outskirts of Montreal measured me up and then kept my shotgun all winter (low humidity allows him to ensure a good ‘set’ of the stock bending). It now shoots where I look, so if I miss it’s a lead/swing-through issue, not an “aiming” issue. Best 150$ I ever spent. I’d even go so far as to say that 8 years later it has paid for itself several times over in saved shells from missed shots alone!
    Cheers,
    Dave

I am looking forward to savings on shells too!

Quote Originally Posted by BritChaser View Post
    Usually miss straight away shots with my Citori. Started noticing I had to tilt my head way over to get the two beads to line up. Otherwise the forward bead was to the left of the rear. Brownings have no cast in the stock. Gun fitter recommended a 3/16" cast off. Big improvement.

Did he end up bending the stock or do you have an adjustable comb?

Stock bent.

I am also a southpaw. Ten years ago, I decided I wanted a shotgun that fit me. After going to a gunstock fitter, It was apparent to me a custom stock was the way to go, as I needed 9/16". My only regret is not doing it sooner! I had the stock made by Macon Gunstocks, they do great work!
    "It takes birds to make a bird dog"

Getting the gun to fit you, rather than you fitting to the gun is the first step to good shooting. I need about 3/8" up to 1/2" cast off for the gun to really fit. Most of my Doubles have the cast built in but I did have one "bent" and would like to have some added to a neutral gun but it has a through bolt and I was told it couldn't be done.
    AM
    Mediocrity knows nothing higher than itself, but talent instantly recognizes genius.
    - Sir Arthur Conan Doyle