Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: SD Long Tailfeather - Bragging

Default SD Long Tailfeather - Bragging

Shot a beautiful 2nd year bird Saturday on a WPA w/ the 2nd longest tailfeathers I've ever got.
    24-5/8" !!!!
    Just 1/8" shy of my personal world record.
    Of the many, many roosters I've shot in my life, only 2 have gone over 24".
    For many years, 23-5/8" seemed to be the magic length that for some reason I couldn't surpass. I shot about 5 birds that exact length.
    Disclaimer: Almost all my hunting is on public land, where birds just don't live quite as long on the average, so somewhat shorter tails.
    Thanks VERY MUCH to UplandHntr for hunting with me Saturday & to his springer Annie for flushing the bird my way!!
    "Most pheasants in South Dakota don't react too well to #5s." -The Hunt for Red Rooster

Yep thats a dandy! Good to get together!! Did you take a pic?

Quote Originally Posted by UplandHntr View Post
    Yep thats a dandy! Good to get together!! Did you take a pic?
    No. I was too hasty in pulling the feathers to get them on the yard stick. I actually considered stuffing them back in for a pic, but didn't. Oh well.
    There's no doubt in my mind, however, that if Buzz had been there to flush & retrieve it, I'd have taken a picture of him & his trophy. A little bleary eyed after typing that. Miss him so much, dang it.
    Last edited by A5 Sweet 16; 12-17-2018 at 05:52 PM.
    "Most pheasants in South Dakota don't react too well to #5s." -The Hunt for Red Rooster

Quote Originally Posted by A5 Sweet 16 View Post
    No. I was too hasty in pulling the feathers to get them on the yard stick. I actually considered stuffing them back in for a pic, but didn't. Oh well.
    There's no doubt in my mind, however, that if Buzz had been there to flush & retrieve it, I'd have taken a picture of him & his trophy. A little bleary eyed after typing that. Miss him so much, dang it.
    Congrats on that dandy rooster! Well deserved!

That's certainly a long tail feather in my book. Glad you had an opportunity to get out, and again so sorry about Buzz.

Come on, you guys. Let's hear about your longer feathers this year. I suppose I COULD have shot the only long wild one in SD, but I somehow rather doubt it. Or your more memorable birds, regardless of tail length. I'd like to hear about them. Stories & pics appreciated.

I guess I've never actually measure tailfeathers before...

When measuring, it sounds like you pull them out? Do you measure from where the feather/barb actually starts, or from the tip of the quill?

Quote Originally Posted by jackrabbit View Post
    I guess I've never actually measure tailfeathers before...
    How do you know how long it is then?!? Tip of the quill to tip of the....feathery end. But be prepared. Like fish, they tend to grow as time passes. Interesting phenomenon.

Grats on a good one A5!
    This takes me back to my waterfowler days. Back when it was all I did. One of my favorite ducks to decoy were pintails. I would always measure those big sprig's tails.

thats pretty cool, i should measure my tail feathers more to get a rough idea