Thread: misc thoughts after about 25 days of hunting in SD....

Wink misc thoughts after about 25 days of hunting in SD....

1) I HATE LOSING CRIPPLES!; 2) STRAIGHT AWAYS ARE SO TOUGH TO KILL/RETRIEVE!; 3) MY "HIGHEST HIGHS" ALWAYS INVOLVE GREAT DOG WORK!; 4) LEG CRAMPS SUCK, ESPECIALLY AT NIGHT!; 5) MAY HAVE TO RETHINK USING SK CHOKE ALL SEASON...SEE #'S 1 & 2!; 6) MAY HAVE TO RETHINK USING #5 SHOT ALL SEASON...SEE #'S 1& 2!; 7) THERE ARE TIMES THAT PUTTING A BIRD IN THE VEST FEELS BETTER THAN WINNING THE LOTTERY...MOST TIMES!; 8) WHERE HAVE MUCK BOOTS BEEN ALL MY LIFE?; 9) SHOT'S NOT TAKEN FOR SAFETY'S SAKE NEED TO BE SAVORED AND REMEMBERED; 10) IT IS ALWAYS WORTH IT TO WALK OUT THAT LAST FEW FEET OF COVER, ESPECIALLY A CORNER!; 11) ATTRIBUTING HIT/KILLED BIRDS TO OTHERS IS ALWAYS A PLEASURE!; 12) KNOWING THE SUBTLE/OVERT HINTS THAT A DOG COMMUNICATES IS PRICELESS! 13) LOADING THE GUN ASAP ONCE OUT OF THE TRUCK IS SMART!; 14) WATCHING "MISSED" BIRDS FOR 5 OR 10 SECONDS RESULTS IN QUITE A FEW HIT BIRDS! 15) GOTTA GO TO WORK NOW, BEEN HUNTING ALOT SINCE 9/3 WHILE CHASING SHARPTAILS IN MT TO START THE SEASON...HOPE TO REPEAT OR EVEN BEST THIS SEASON IN 2019...BOOTS ON THE GROUND CLOSE TO 40 DAYS THUS FAR, AND IT AIN'T OVER TIL 1/6/19 IN SD! MERRY CHRISTMAS AND HAPPY HUNTING!!!!!
    16) WISH I KNEW WHO MY WIFE'S BOYFRIEND IS, I OWE HIM BIG-TIME!
    Last edited by benelli-banger; 12-17-2018 at 10:19 AM.

25 days. pffft. You need to hunt more. ;-) Really enjoy your thoughts either way though. All gun/choke/load combos NOT being equal, I think if you do #5, most of #6 would be taken care of. (and therefore some of #1 & #2 as well)
    "Most pheasants in South Dakota don't react too well to #5s." -The Hunt for Red Rooster

Quote Originally Posted by a5 sweet 16 View Post
    25 days. Pffft. You need to hunt more. ;-) really enjoy your thoughts either way though. All gun/choke/load combos not being equal, i think if you do #5, most of #6 would be taken care of. (and therefore some of #1 & #2 as well)
    probably good advice!!

2) STRAIGHT AWAYS ARE SO TOUGH TO KILL/RETRIEVE!

I thought maybe I was the only one that struggles with these shots. Visually I always feel that should be an easy shot, but missed one again yesterday going straight away down a fence line.
    Thanks for a great list of season long thoughts.

Quote Originally Posted by marn View Post
    2) STRAIGHT AWAYS ARE SO TOUGH TO KILL/RETRIEVE!

I thought maybe I was the only one that struggles with these shots. Visually I always feel that should be an easy shot, but missed one again yesterday going straight away down a fence line.
    Thanks for a great list of season long thoughts.
    yes, hitting them is a challenge, but they seem to be much harder to kill when presented in that fashion vs crossing shots or pass shots...less access to the vitals...I will spare you the details, but I have shot birds at quite close range that have not been retrieved, and I have pretty decent dogs...

Quote Originally Posted by benelli-banger View Post
    1) 3) MY "HIGHEST HIGHS" ALWAYS INVOLVE GREAT DOG WORK!;
    7) THERE ARE TIMES THAT PUTTING A BIRD IN THE VEST FEELS BETTER THAN WINNING THE LOTTERY...MOST TIMES!;
    8) WHERE HAVE MUCK BOOTS BEEN ALL MY LIFE
    10) IT IS ALWAYS WORTH IT TO WALK OUT THAT LAST FEW FEET OF COVER, ESPECIALLY A CORNER!
    12) KNOWING THE SUBTLE/OVERT HINTS THAT A DOG COMMUNICATES IS PRICELESS!
    13) LOADING THE GUN ASAP ONCE OUT OF THE TRUCK IS SMART!
    14) WATCHING "MISSED" BIRDS FOR 5 OR 10 SECONDS RESULTS IN QUITE A FEW HIT BIRDS!
    3 & 12 - I don't know if I'd even do this sport without a dog, let alone have it be my absolute favorite thing to do. Watching them work is what it's all about, and learning their signs how you become a "team" over the years is priceless.
    7 - Never won it, but I know what you are saying!
    8 - Starting to wear them more and more. Especially on new pieces of land, you never know when you might all of a sudden find yourself in a bit of water.. and there's usually where the birds are.. Early season or all grass hunts, I wear Danners. Late season, snow, or chance of water, I wear Mucks. Starting to wear the Mucks more and more. Last week in South Dakota the Mucks were all I wore.
    10 - Gotten a lot in those last few feet, always worth checking out!
    13 - And closing the truck door quietly so that nearby rooster doesn't flush instantly.
    14 - Also something I have started doing a lot better this year, and I agree that a lot of times it seems to result in a Rooster near where that missed one landed. Who will ever know if it's the same one or not though? I often try to go a long ways passed where I saw it go down, then circle back in the opposite direction at it. Of course wind, boundaries, cover also play a role.

Quote Originally Posted by jackrabbit View Post
    3 & 12 - I don't know if I'd even do this sport without a dog, let alone have it be my absolute favorite thing to do. Watching them work is what it's all about, and learning their signs how you become a "team" over the years is priceless.
    7 - Never won it, but I know what you are saying!
    8 - Starting to wear them more and more. Especially on new pieces of land, you never know when you might all of a sudden find yourself in a bit of water.. and there's usually where the birds are.. Early season or all grass hunts, I wear Danners. Late season, snow, or chance of water, I wear Mucks. Starting to wear the Mucks more and more. Last week in South Dakota the Mucks were all I wore.
    10 - Gotten a lot in those last few feet, always worth checking out!
    13 - And closing the truck door quietly so that nearby rooster doesn't flush instantly.
    14 - Also something I have started doing a lot better this year, and I agree that a lot of times it seems to result in a Rooster near where that missed one landed. Who will ever know if it's the same one or not though? I often try to go a long ways passed where I saw it go down, then circle back in the opposite direction at it. Of course wind, boundaries, cover also play a role.
    I tried that today, lost one that hit the ground hard, then ran into a creek .I know where he us, my dig got on him once, but we couldn't get him. Maybe I should go back tommorow, if that huge Goldman eagle didn't get him.

As for number 16, I bought my wife a shotgun and a flyrod for our first Christmass together. I was immediately put on probation. Fast forward about 20 years ago I got her a better shotgun and she helped me train dogs. Now we spend our vacations hunting birds together. I am still on probation, but we have 43 years in. Maybe if I get her a better flyrod I will get off probation.