Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: midseason reports

Quote Originally Posted by KSBrittman View Post
    Pretty sure dogman is talking about Quail ,
    Limited out with 44 birds and 11 hunters = pheasant

I’ve not been out much at all. I’ve been training my lab and setter I got last year as a puppy. I have been out with the setter the last two weekends and he’s stuck a few coveys and one hen pheasant. He’s got some birds shot over him and his mouth around some so he’s pretty fired up finally. As a little guy he was never a ball of fire but he’s turning out to be a pretty nice little dog.

Hunted WIHA north of Russell a couple weeks ago and found several coveys of quail and a few chickens fly to the milo fields. Also hunted Webster lake area WIHA and saw around 7( pheasant on a couple different days. First time to hunt Kansas in over 25 years and we had a great time with lots of dog work, best hunt Iíve had in a very long time.

Quote Originally Posted by DD74 View Post
    Hunted WIHA north of Russell a couple weeks ago and found several coveys of quail and a few chickens fly to the milo fields. Also hunted Webster lake area WIHA and saw around 7( pheasant on a couple different days. First time to hunt Kansas in over 25 years and we had a great time with lots of dog work, best hunt I’ve had in a very long time.
    post specific locations like that and you might as well never go back to that spot as those poor coveys are going to be slaughtered.

Quote Originally Posted by Jakeismydog2 View Post
    post specific locations like that and you might as well never go back to that spot as those poor coveys are going to be slaughtered.
    That was more than likely my only trip to Kansas this year and was more than glad to be of encouragement to fellow hunters. As a matter of fact the last day there I ran into a couple older hunters that wasnít having much luck and I gave them my map I was using, call me a fool I guess but them older fellows were sure grateful.

That was more than likely my only trip to Kansas this year and was more than glad to be of encouragement to fellow hunters. As a matter of fact the last day there I ran into a couple older hunters that wasnít having much luck and I gave them my map I was using, call me a fool I guess but them older fellows were sure grateful.
    Just food for thought, there's a pretty significant difference in showing a couple people a good WIHA spot or giving them your map, versus posting it on the internet where untold numbers of people might read it. I used to not really understand it myself, and I would often refer to a county I was hunting in online, thinking, 'o well, it's all public access and no one owns the birds there'. But it really does have an effect. Based on your post, that WIHA tract and the couple others around it will probably get at least double the traffic in the upcoming weeks that it would have "naturally". At best, the birds will get pressured off those tracts to adjoining private land. At worst, those covies will not survive the season.

You might not be returning to Kansas to hunt this season, but the people who do would almost all appreciate it if you would not hot-spot.

You may very well be right, but I did say north of Russell and thereís a lot of areas north of Russell and other than two gentlemen who got the map no one else knows exactly where. Having said that your point is taken, I will share my hunting areas on a personal basis and not on this forum.

Don't worry, you didn't do anything wrong. Like you said there are a lot of places 'north of Russell'. WIHA hunting areas get hit very hard anyway, I doubt your post on here will change that at all. I hope you can get back to Kansas and hunt again.
    You may very well be right, but I did say north of Russell and there’s a lot of areas north of Russell and other than two gentlemen who got the map no one else knows exactly where. Having said that your point is taken, I will share my hunting areas on a personal basis and not on this forum.

Thanks, I certainly will be back, we didnít go for the shooting we went for the experience and dog work. Thanks again.

We’ve been doing fair to good chasing birds. When the weather turned cold we were seeing many more birds bunched up. The weather warning seemed to have spread them back out. Hunted NE on Saturday and did well. Hunted the second half in KS WIHA and didn’t flush a single bird. Sunday managed to flush five hens and saw a rooster in the distance sailing back into cover. Looks like cold weather is moving back in so we’ll see how the game changes.
    "When I am not hunting I am thinking about hunting. Hunting is on my mind because it is in my blood."
    -- Jim Shockey