Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: midseason reports

We went out the weekend of the 8th. Normally we would go opening weekend, but my brother and his family were in Australia and asked us to postpone the trip. I am really glad we did. More of the crops were out of the fields and it was much colder than the temp usually experienced on opening weekend. We were in Washington county and in that area, I can say the Quail are back. We found Quail in all but one field we walked. Not as many Roosters as the past, but that is OK. The colder temps had the Quail sitting tight which allowed my dog to have between 12 and 15 point and retrieves on the day. She also helped find another 15-20 birds that wold have been lost in the cover. We had 9 of us to start the day and one more joined us in the afternoon. It has been a long time since we have seen that many birds. Many of the coveys were 20 plus bird coveys. We made sure not to hunt them too hard. I am hoping this summer is good nesting weather and we can do it again next year! We all discussed moving the trip to December from now on!

My group hunted quail last Friday and pheasants on Saturday. On Friday 5 hunter and 4 pointing dogs bagged 23 quail We lost and additional 6 in heavy cover and extremely poor scenting conditions. On Saturday the group increased to 11 hunters and 7 dogs. We limited out (44) birds. Got to see some great dog work Birds were holding in very heavy cover. Ah life is good in SW Kansas

Quote Originally Posted by dogman View Post
    My group hunted quail last Friday and pheasants on Saturday. On Friday 5 hunter and 4 pointing dogs bagged 23 quail We lost and additional 6 in heavy cover and extremely poor scenting conditions. On Saturday the group increased to 11 hunters and 7 dogs. We limited out (44) birds. Got to see some great dog work Birds were holding in very heavy cover. Ah life is good in SW Kansas
    44 roosters in one day? sorry, i am inclined to call bullshit on that one! unless you were on a preserve.

Quote Originally Posted by hunter94 View Post
    44 roosters in one day? sorry, i am inclined to call bullshit on that one! unless you were on a preserve.
    I’ve had at least 2 days in southwest KS this year that 11 good shooters could have dropped limits with some birds to spare.

Pretty sure dogman is talking about Quail ,

However if there were roosters as the Math may indicate , no reason to bag on somebody for having some success . late last year out west me and a buddy shot near limits late in the season of both Quail and pheasant .

I asked for good reports and dogman gave an honest answer. He didn't keep quiet in fear somebody would come swipe his spot. I'm not sure why this went south.

Glad to hear of folks having some success. Iím getting ready to fire up the truck and head out to western Kansas for a few days. Hopefully the dog and I can get into a few.

Quote Originally Posted by s.davis View Post
    Iíve had at least 2 days in southwest KS this year that 11 good shooters could have dropped limits with some birds to spare.
    This ^^^ Same can be said about the area we hunted last week in SW KS. And I should have had a limit of quail both days if I had shot better.

Spotty in NW, about like last year.
    - From the office of Browning, Colt, Winchester & Savage
    - Kansas: Big Cock Country