Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Group hunting etiquette? Unwritten rules?

Guide, help, block.

Thanks, Mark.

Quote Originally Posted by Goosemaster View Post
    I don't, and I never leave anything in the field Blowing one up means you pattern one with big shot, from close range.No edible meat.
    So do you count that blown up bird in your limit of 3? This was your statement:
    I try to shoot my 3, unless I blow one up
    This would lead one to believe you shoot 3 PLUS the one you blew up.
    Janee's August Breeze - Bree
    7/6/2016
    http://gundogcentral.com/view_pedigr...&generations=5

Godfather's Dakota Elle - Elle
    1X NSTRA Champion
    11/16/2008 - 11/22/2016
    http://gundogcentral.com/view_pedigr...&generations=5

Every group is different. Its best you figure out the etiquette ahead of time or you may find yourself in a bad way with the others quickly. With the guys I hunt with, if someones faster than you, then you better learn to shoot quicker.

"Keeps shooting"....

If I don't wish you to shoot ( my birds) do you continue to shoot? Reconcile this before the hunt?

Jake...this can become a contest as to who's fastest on the draw - gets back to my original post, if I'm slower than others at the mount, do other hunters acknowledge this or see how many they can shoot?

Quote Originally Posted by jonnyB View Post
    Jake...this can become a contest as to who's fastest on the draw - gets back to my original post, if I'm slower than others at the mount, do other hunters acknowledge this or see how many they can shoot?
    Ok, I know my feeling on this.If I know there will be lots of roosters, I let the other guys bang away first. If I know there will only be a few birds, then everybody will be more aggressive, and so will I.Sometimes you hunt a section, that only has 7 roosters on the whole thing!You had better be in your game, or it's a skunk.

To me this is fairly simple....if that guys dog is birdie or on point and he gets a nice close flush right in front of him? i'll let him shoot first. I may not shoot at all. But if that bird jumps up and surprises everyone say, 15-20 yards in front of him? I'll drop it right in his lane if I'm faster. The other part of this is, if MY dog flushes one close to me I BETTER be ready and get the first shot. If I don't it's my own fault. No crying because we will discuss this stuff at the truck.

we are a pretty competitive group of guys... when its just us friends. If we have somebody that doesnt get to hunt much we are always moving them into the best spot to shoot of the point and give them a good chance at a shot before we shoot.

We have probably all had days where it seems every bird flushes in front of you, and the next day every rooster is at the far end of the group. If the shot is clear and safe, I say take the shot. I have hunted with guys that never watch the dogs, so they are always slow on the draw because they are never ready for the flush.

Quote Originally Posted by marn View Post
    We have probably all had days where it seems every bird flushes in front of you, and the next day every rooster is at the far end of the group. If the shot is clear and safe, I say take the shot. I have hunted with guys that never watch the dogs, so they are always slow on the draw because they are never ready for the flush.
    Rught, being ready is really important! You should be at port arms when your dog gets birdie.