Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Group hunting etiquette? Unwritten rules?

Quote Originally Posted by jonnyB View Post
    What if one person in the group shoots the limit (3) does that person continue to shooting? Or does he/she help others...guide?
    Keeps shooting.

And if the bird is totally missed by all that shoot...so what?
    What do you mean, "So what?????" Those 3 guys should be dejected, angry at themselves & at each other, & angry at the bird for existing in the first place. They should each make up the best excuse possible & give the other 2 all sorts of heck for their poor performance. And the dogs should go back to the truck & refuse to hunt until they've received ample snacks to try to make up for it & their people vow to shoot better.
    "Most pheasants in South Dakota don't react too well to #5s." -The Hunt for Red Rooster

In group hunting the first shot should go to the gun whose lane the bird flushed from. If he's slow, them's the breaks. Otherwise, the slowest shooter never gets a first shot. Birds escaping is of no consequence IMHO.
    Last edited by BritChaser; 12-14-2018 at 10:58 AM.
    - From the office of Browning, Colt, Winchester & Savage
    - Kansas: Big Cock Country

Party hunting is not allowed in Iowa if I remember correctly.

I always quit if I have my three, just do the driving or whatever.

What if one person in the group shoots the limit (3) does that person continue to shooting? Or does he/she help others...guide?
    Can go either way. LOTS of variables here. There have been times when I have the only dog & I've told the person/people I'm with that they better stay pretty close to me & the shooting's all up to them. I've shot enough birds in my life that, while I love shooting them, what I REALLY want is for my dog to get the action. And....there have been times when they make it clear they don't want to hunt close enough to me & they don't care who shoots the birds....and I've shot my limit & theirs. And everyone's fine with it. In those situations I figure if these guys want to hunt, & they seriously don't want to do what it takes to shoot the birds themselves (so don't CARE who shoots them), & my dog has to work hard enough to produce that many birds....then he's going to get those birds. And if it means me shooting them for him, then so be it. (Qualifier: This is awfully rare. 90% of my hunting is alone w/ my dog.)
    Last edited by A5 Sweet 16; 12-14-2018 at 01:36 PM.
    "Most pheasants in South Dakota don't react too well to #5s." -The Hunt for Red Rooster

Guide, help, block.
    - From the office of Browning, Colt, Winchester & Savage
    - Kansas: Big Cock Country

Quote Originally Posted by A5 Sweet 16 View Post
    Can go either way. LOTS of variables here. There have been times when I have the only dog & I've told the person/people I'm with that they better stay pretty close to me & the shooting's all up to them. I've shot enough birds in my life that, while I love shooting them, what I REALLY want is for my dog to get the action. And....there have been times when they make it clear they don't want to hunt close enough to me & they don't care who shoots the birds....and I've shot my limit & theirs. And everyone's fine with it. In those situations I figure if these guys want to hunt, & they seriously don't want to do what it takes to shoot the birds themselves (so don't CARE who shoots them), & my dog has to work hard enough to produce that many birds....then he's going to get those birds. And if means me shooting them for him, then so be it. (Qualifier: This is awfully rare. 90% of my hunting is alone w/ my dog.)
    Yeah, I totally agree with that.I usually hunt alone, and I try to shoot my 3, unless I blow one up. I used to hunt with a guy who could not hit anything, he was from New Jersey. I shot some birds for him, he was a good cook, not a good hunter, but a great dude!!

Quote Originally Posted by Goosemaster View Post
    Yeah, I totally agree with that.I usually hunt alone, and I try to shoot my 3, unless I blow one up. I used to hunt with a guy who could not hit anything, he was from New Jersey. I shot some birds for him, he was a good cook, not a good hunter, but a great dude!!
    So do I understand if you “blow one up” you leave it lay and continue on ?

I count an obviously wounded or a lost bird as one of my three.

Quote Originally Posted by McFarmer View Post
    So do I understand if you “blow one up” you leave it lay and continue on ?

I count an obviously wounded or a lost bird as one of my three.
    I don't, and I never leave anything in the field Blowing one up means you pattern one with big shit, from close range.No edible meat.

Quote Originally Posted by Goosemaster View Post
    I don't, and I never leave anything in the field Blowing one up means you pattern one with big shit, from close range.No edible meat.
    Sorry, big shot