Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Momma said there’d be days like this...

Default Momma said there’d be days like this...

There are several good things about a day when you can’t hit the broadside of a barn. 1. Federal Premium Ammunition profits skyrocket. Boosting the American Economy! 2. Because of #1, money coming into Pheasants Forever increases. 3. You get to see great dog work ALL day long. 4. You get to see miles of prairie. 5. Calorie intake tonight can be ginormous. 6. You have a whole blooper reel on the go pro. 7. You get to experience the “golden hour” for the first time all year. 8. You know there are plenty of birds left for the next time you want to hunt this area. Time to clean my three birds and quadruple check where Jazz got quilled by Mr. Porkie.

I can relate. In October I shot well, had six or seven birds wit one shot apiece. Last week had several whiffs. Seems to be pretty hot and cold with me.

Yep, I can be real streaky.

Some of my misses this season still haunt me.

Phil Bourjaily wrote about this recently.

https://www.fieldandstream.com/scien...pheasant-field

Lol-I think you said it well! Been there done that more than once!

I know that feeling. I am lucky enough to have several guns I can shoot roosters with. Changing guns breaks a slump for me. Purely mental.

Oh, and thanks for putting that song in my head the last two days.

Shot horribly up there this year. Im not sure it really is better than not shooting at all.

I typically have 1 to 2 of those days each season. I hate them!! Seems like it usually begins by sending that first break-away dunk opportunity careening off the back of the rim & into the bleachers. That said, in my dreams, I don't believe I've EVER had one of those days. I'm always on fire! Making unbelievable shots, one after another. I wake up & I'm like....crap.
    "Most pheasants in South Dakota don't react too well to #5s." -The Hunt for Red Rooster

Quote Originally Posted by carptom1 View Post
    I can relate. In October I shot well, had six or seven birds wit one shot apiece. Last week had several whiffs. Seems to be pretty hot and cold with me.
    For me, there's a big difference in accuracy/hits between early fall and winter shooting; gloves, coats and sweaters underneath make for a struggle to mount the gun. The stock either gets hung up on the way up or I'm not fully mounted. I did learn that wearing no shirt helps - just wear stretchy sweater(s) and oversize jacket.