Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 12ga. Remington 1100 too heavy?

I think is is also a function on how your hunt is going, more birds and shooting the less you notice the weight. Yeah they are heavy but a great gun to shoot. I have doubles that are close to that weight. These heavier guns are typically more forgiving to shoot compared to lighter guns with same loads. Again i will say when hunting i dint notice the recoil, however, when target shooting or siting in i do. My father carried his 1100 with a 30" plain barrel till he stopped hunting when he turned 75. I did buy him a 26" barrel but he rarely used it.
    River - 2 yr old English Setter
    http://gundogcentral.com/view_pedigr...&generations=5
    Bella - 4 yr old Brittany
    http://gundogcentral.com/view_pedigr...&generations=5
    Ellie - 5 yr old Yellow Lab
    Jazi - 12/30/2005 -- 10/13/2017
    Kaci - 3/23/01 - -10/8/15

Quote Originally Posted by Dakotazeb View Post
    Tell me that when you're 72!
    Hahaha. I should be so lucky. Good for you for still getting it done with any gun you like.

They are not as heavy as an a-5 mag.Ive used a lot of 1100's, and 1187's.Great, dependable guns.I always load 5 shells.

Yes it’s too heavy

Quote Originally Posted by PTM View Post
    Yes it’s too heavy
    Way to stir the pot.
    "Most pheasants in South Dakota don't react too well to #5s." -The Hunt for Red Rooster

With bird numbers down I think it is heavy for a field gun. I’m 48 and have lugged some big uns around to include a Citori 12 gauge that was over the 8 pound mark. I think something a little under is 7 is optimal. Franchi Affinity, Browning Maxxis, Beretta A 400, a plethora of Benellis, Winchester SX3 or 4, all these are good medium weight guns.

Carried my dad’s old 1100 around all day yesterday. It seemed light compared to the Citori I carried all day the day before. That being said, I would like to get a lighter 12 gauge late season option.

Quote Originally Posted by Altillathedak View Post
    Carried my dadís old 1100 around all day yesterday. It seemed light compared to the Citori I carried all day the day before. That being said, I would like to get a lighter 12 gauge late season option.
    I use an 1187 premier a lot in late season, hunting in snow in montana. Ic seems to work best. It does get a little heavy, but it has good range.I also use a 20 gauge 1187 field gun, on private land, ic, or mod, 3 inch lead loads usually. It's light! Nice field gun, with good fire power

Carried my dad’s old 1100 around all day yesterday. It seemed light compared to the Citori I carried all day the day before. That being said, I would like to get a lighter 12 gauge late season option.
    I don’t have a huge 12 ga stable but have a pretty good mix of configurations across the gauge spectrum, if you ever get to Minot and want to try/borrow any of them give me a shout. My biggest gripe of the shotgun world there isn’t a good method to try before you buy kind of like there is in the pistol world.

Jaquas (Jaquas.com) has a Fabarm L4s Grey Hunter (used) for $1195. Go to their Gun List in the main menu. Choose Field, 12 gauge, Fabarm, and Used in the search fields. My 1100 with a 26 inch barrel is 8 pounds. My L4s Initial Hunter is 6 3/4 pounds with a 28 inch barrel. They are very easy guns to adjust for POA/POI. Softer shooting than an OU but not as soft as an 1100 mostly due to the weight difference.