Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: 12ga. Remington 1100 too heavy?

Funny this thread is the first one I read this morning. My dad bought an 1100 in 1968 or so with a modified barrel and later added a skeet barrel. I shot that gun all thru my youth shooting trap and hunting Hungarians and pheasants in SW Minn. It was also the gun he was carrying when he passed away in 1973. I was 15 at the time, (almost 62 now) and that event pretty much ended most of my shooting until I got married and established on my own. This 1100 has been residing in my safe for the better part of 40 years.

Our local home builders association organized a trap shooting event instead of the standard fall golf outing and I signed up to go. Rifling thru the safe yesterday afternoon, this gun kept whispering from its corner, "take me, take me ,please. So I dug it out. What I probably should have done for the practice, was to take my 686 OU 20 gauge, (which is lighter. Lol). But I took the 1100 with the modified bbl. I have not shot a round of organized trap in almost 45 years, but the gun felt just as good last night as when I was shooting competitively as a 13 year old kid. First round I broke 22. Second round I broke 20, for which I was damn happy with. I'm also quite sure there was someone looking over my shoulder, and I think I heard. "Nice job kid!"
    Last edited by reddog; 09-27-2019 at 12:01 PM.

That's awesome, Rollie. Thanks for sharing!
    "Most pheasants in South Dakota don't react too well to #5s." -The Hunt for Red Rooster

Something about 1100s they just feel good and come up good
    I was on a skeet team 45 years ago in the first Cav and we shot 1100s I could really shoot them well

If I was going to take one pheasant hunting I would put a sling on it and could still slay a lot of pheasants I bet

I would have to say no.I use 1100' mag. All the time
    Great gun.

If you want a good work out from your gun on your guns then go ahead.

I prefer a 5-6lb gun.

The weight never bothered me much until I was about 60. After that I really started to fall apart and lose strength in my arms, hands and legs, along with back issues. I lightened up wherever I could. My clothes, boots, gun, and vest have all changed. I had to change it up in order to stay out there. It was worth it. For me, every pound made a difference. Game belt, very lightweight layers, Keen Targhee II boots, bul in 12 and 20. Not my first choices, but it had to be. Not that easy to sell the Wingworks vest and the Cynergy OU 12ga. I really liked those things. I could either watch the hunt on tv or adjust. Packers over the Lions tonight, 21-10.