Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: 12ga. Remington 1100 too heavy?

Get the 1100 and go hunting. Take an extra gun too. If you find the Remington too heavy for all day hunting, grab a lighter gun to finish up. I take more than one gun when I head out because I have a hard time deciding which to use. No reason to limit yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by Goosemaster View Post
    I use an 1187 premier a lot in late season, hunting in snow in montana. Ic seems to work best. It does get a little heavy, but it has good range.I also use a 20 gauge 1187 field gun, on private land, ic, or mod, 3 inch lead loads usually. It's light! Nice field gun, with good fire power
    Speaking of heavy guns, I may take the a-5 mag, 30 inch goose cannon out soon.Late season , it's heavy, but its classic, old school.It was made in the 20's.Just hit it with some wd-40, and ITS ON!!@ I may load some heavy goose loads in it from the 1970's.Late season roosters in montana, are very educated, and SMART!!

Quote Originally Posted by Ericb View Post
    Get the 1100 and go hunting. Take an extra gun too. If you find the Remington too heavy for all day hunting, grab a lighter gun to finish up. I take more than one gun when I head out because I have a hard time deciding which to use. No reason to limit yourself.
    I already have a L.H. 12ga. 1100. I also have a 12ga. L.H. Benelli Montefeltro that I have been using for the last 3 yrs. along with a 16ga. Citori. I always take 2 or 3 guns when I go to S.D. every year. I used a L.H. 12ga. 1100 a LONG time ago( probably in my early 30')s when I first started hunting upland game. The weight didn't bother me then but I am now approaching 66 yrs. old and am in nowhere near the shape I was in when I was in my 30's. I may take your advice and include the 1100 this year.

Quote Originally Posted by 870-Lefty View Post
    I already have a L.H. 12ga. 1100. I also have a 12ga. L.H. Benelli Montefeltro that I have been using for the last 3 yrs. along with a 16ga. Citori. I always take 2 or 3 guns when I go to S.D. every year. I used a L.H. 12ga. 1100 a LONG time ago( probably in my early 30')s when I first started hunting upland game. The weight didn't bother me then but I am now approaching 66 yrs. old and am in nowhere near the shape I was in when I was in my 30's. I may take your advice and include the 1100 this year.
    I like to have 5 magnum rounds to unleash in December. The 1100, the 1187 are capable of serious fire power. I like both, although they are heavy.

Quote Originally Posted by 870-Lefty View Post
    Now you’re talking my language! I love my Montefeltro. If it had been my first gun, I may never have needed any others.

I personally consider an 1100 to be to heavy to hunt with all day at least for me. I prefer a lighter gun for an all day hunt.

If you want to make fun of me go ahead. You can say that I am in touch with my feminine side.

BTW: She happens to be a lesbian.

I have several in both 12 and 20 They are awesome guns,also great looking.
    The 12 is a great gun if your driving and posting .If your posting no problem to stand and wait .If your driving and the drive is maybe an hour (most are shorter) again no problem.You can do several drives a day.But if your walking all day thru brush and Swales with gun at ready,My vote is no thks.
    I've hunted with guys who have carried them all day,half the time the gun was NOT at the ready.

Years ago, my 11-87 was perfect (have a 1100 also). Now that I am older and “wiser”, it’s too heavy. I think most of the problem is in my head.