Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 12ga. Remington 1100 too heavy?

Default 12ga. Remington 1100 too heavy?

Anyone hunt with a Rem. 1100 12ga., 2&3/4" chamber Modified choke barrel? If so, do you feel it is too heavy to hunt wild pheasant with all day?

its a heavy gun. Plenty of guys have hunted all day with that gun... I would prefer not too.

1100 are great guns and have killed millions of birds I’m sure. I wouldn’t prefer to carry one all day though to be honest with you. They are a classic but heavy. Maybe we have all just became wimps compared to the generations before us???

It’s subjective, really. If the gun feels good to you, then you’ll use it. They may be heavy by comparison, but it’s not like they weigh 20lbs. The issue for me is how they handle. Only you can decide if it feels right.

Seems the weight of a gun becomes more of an issue as we age. If you're a young stud the 1100 probably is not too heavy. But if you are in your 50's, 60's and beyond it would be a load to haul around all day. There are a lot of lighter options.
    Janee's August Breeze - Bree
    7/6/2016
    http://gundogcentral.com/view_pedigr...&generations=5

Godfather's Dakota Elle - Elle
    1X NSTRA Champion
    11/16/2008 - 11/22/2016

Yep, they are heavy. However, so is my ancient Citori. If you have the gun and like it you’ll carry it. However, I wouldn’t go looking to buy one to carry all day.

Really subjective obviously. But in general, I'd say "no" it's not too heavy. Is it a dream to carry? No. But no heavier than a lot of guns guys carry all day pheasant hunting. About the same as an old style Sweet 16. Lighter than a Light 12. Lighter than many over/unders. I'm 49, not powerfully built at all, & carry a Sweet 16, which is nearly the same weight as an 1100. Although I wish it didn't weigh so much, it doesn't bother me to the point I don't want to carry it. I love the gun & shoot it well. That's why I haven't jumped on the bandwagon yet of a new, really nice, & significantly lighter gun. Because by many reports, they take some getting used to (shooting wise). I don't want to go through the growing pains for something I may never like as much or shoot as well. I may feel differently in 5-10 years.
    "Most pheasants in South Dakota don't react too well to #5s." -The Hunt for Red Rooster

Nope. It's not. Listening to men fret about carrying 8 pounds of wood and steel is embarrassing.

Quote Originally Posted by s.davis View Post
    Nope. It's not. Listening to men fret about carrying 8 pounds of wood and steel is embarrassing.
    "Most pheasants in South Dakota don't react too well to #5s." -The Hunt for Red Rooster

Quote Originally Posted by s.davis View Post
    Tell me that when you're 72!
    Janee's August Breeze - Bree
    7/6/2016

Godfather's Dakota Elle - Elle
    1X NSTRA Champion
    11/16/2008 - 11/22/2016