Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: A few thoughts regarding road hunting

Quote Originally Posted by Miforester View Post
    Railroad right of ways and access to them would depend on if the railroad owns the land or has an easement, i would imagine most rails are owned by the company and the land would be in private ownership.
    RR right of ways are owned by the rail companies.........most road crossings are marked with no trespassing signs.....signage or not, it is illegal to trespass onto RR property.

From the Kansas regulations:

TRESPASS

It is illegal to hunt, shoot, or trap on private land without the owner's permission. Hunting from public roads requires permission of the landowner adjacent to the side of the road being hunted. Railroad rights-of-way require permission from the railroad.
    https://ksoutdoors.com/Hunting/Hunti...ation/Trespass

Quote Originally Posted by Chestle View Post
    This may be true in Kansas and I know it is the law in North Dakota, but not South Dakota.
    Janee's August Breeze - Bree
    7/6/2016
    http://gundogcentral.com/view_pedigr...&generations=5

Godfather's Dakota Elle - Elle
    1X NSTRA Champion
    11/16/2008 - 11/22/2016
    http://gundogcentral.com/view_pedigr...&generations=5

Zeb,

Yes. I should have added that a hunter needs to check the individual state regs before engaging in hunting the railroad right of ways and/or road ditches.

Exactly. IA, MN, SD and many others it has been common practice for ever. And for the most part almost all don't give a rip. Just the few squeaky wheels. ND I believe "Unless changed" If not posted you can walk road ditches, and also land. Not posting meant don't bother me, just go. Posted meant, stop and ask. And 99.9% of them let me when I asked. Those laws may have changed. Yes check local regs.
    http://www.bluerivergundogs.com/Home_Page.html

When you think you are smarter than your dog, ask your self who cleans up who's poo.

Road ditches in ND adjacent to state and federal highways and adjacent to non-posted land are open to hunting.

The whole railroad access issues to hunters became much more restricted after 9-11. Many railroad (active and abandoned) right of ways were actively hunted with out issue long ago.

Now many of these same locations are posted closed to hunting or even legislated as closed.

They just do not want anyone without credentials on areas with tracks.

States should lease abandoned track beds for hunting (walk in access).

I could knock on doors in South Dakota, and I could get permission, and I wouldn't pay a dime.One guy has a descent chance at getting permission, in the west.

Quote Originally Posted by BRITTMAN View Post
    Road ditches in ND adjacent to state and federal highways and adjacent to non-posted land are open to hunting.
    That's what I remember. But also you could go on the entire parcel back then. They did have a "No Bending Grass" law, and "Stay Out Of Standing Crop" law. Which was no driving in CRP, or grass. And no walking in standing crops. But no clue if that has changed. It has been over 10 years since that law/season/lic change, and I have been back. It just don't appeal to me now, when I get my 3 birds close to home every time I hunt. Much cheaper. I will go out to fish again I suspect, just to float Oahe. It is not as if I can't fill my belly in MN with fresh walleye or sunnies LOL.
    http://www.bluerivergundogs.com/Home_Page.html

When you think you are smarter than your dog, ask your self who cleans up who's poo.

Private land in ND is open to hunting unless posted. You do not need permission to hunt crop land or grasslands if the land is not posted. This is similar to the laws in MN for woods in the north country.

You can not enter unharvested crop land in ND without permission. You cannot drive off trail / road for hunting upland game in ND. You can drive off trail / road for waterfowl hunting (essentially making it easier to move decoys).

90% of my pheasant hunting is in MN. I average two birds per day hunting in MN ... unfortunately for me, my favorite areas are 2 - 3 hour drive from my home. Most day trips this year have been more time driving than walking. I certainly live closer to grouse woods and we have taken turkeys just 15 minutes from my house (metro Twin Cities).