Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: A few thoughts regarding road hunting

Default A few thoughts regarding road hunting

seems to be some discussion regarding trading road hunting for an extra week of season extending into January?
    landowners are at the point that they want to shut down all road hunting, i can't say as i blame them with what happens too often.

but it seems as though an extended season would often be worthless, as often you can't even get out of the Walmart parking lot in Mitchell, due to the snow in January. the lost revenue from NR hunters would likely be the real result....some vets and others who can't walk or don't want to walk could no longer follow there dogs down the road, hoping to point a rooster in the ditch to blast.

the ditch hunters would still have Iowa, so they would have an option, also with a cheaper license, good for the season.
    change is inevitable, eventually.

I'll be the first to reply. I can't really understand what you are trying to say except road hunting will eventually be outlawed. Huh.. ??? But, I guess you can go to Iowa??
    Come On..

I’ve never experienced the negative reaction to road hunting. Here in this part of Iowa it’s pretty common. As kids there was always a half hour after practice to hunt, the ditches were really the only option.

No game farms, maybe that’s why.

This thread has the potential for a blow up.

I'll stick my oar in the water anyway though.

I'm in favor of allowing road hunting.

Here's the regulation:

Public road rights-of-way are open for the hunting of small game and waterfowl. No person may hunt within 660 feet of schools, churches, occupied dwellings and livestock. The hunter or the small game animal being shot should not be within the 660-foot safety zone.

The public right-of-way along a section line or other highway is open for hunting if:

The right-of-way has been commonly used by the public for vehicular travel, as demonstrated by the existence of a well-worn vehicle trail.

An intentional alteration or adaptation has been made to the right-of-way to enhance the natural terrain's utility for vehicular travel or to permit vehicular travel where it was not possible before.

Fences may not be placed on a right-of-way boundary, and occasionally, there is no fence. Most section line rights-of-way are 66 feet wide. Some acquired rights-of-way are wider.
    Now, in my view, since the right-of-way is available for public use of any kind...for example, use as a road....the landowner should not be taxed on that property. The landowner can't farm it, can't fence it for cattle, can't really use it for any profitable enterprise because the public use takes precedent.

The politicians will never go for that though. For politicians, there's a never ending need for OPM (Other People's Money). So, not gonna happen.

I think that would be fair and equitable to all concerned though.

Cant it be the opposite of other programs in that if a famer wants to use it they can lease it back from the public?

In Iowa we don’t pay property taxes on the road right of way.

Called “exempt acres”.

I have always avoided SD because of the fact that knocking on doors is out of the question there. This is the first year that I have hunted in SD because it was the best place to get my dogs on birds this year. I am not a big fan of road hunting and I did not do any when I was there but it sounds like guys have certain areas that they have found over the years that have been very productive for them. Taking away the ability to hunt these areas will just put more stress on the public land that is already hammered out there. I just pray that one state a little further north has a good nesting season this spring.

Quote Originally Posted by McFarmer View Post
    In Iowa we don’t pay property taxes on the road right of way.

Called “exempt acres”.
    That's a policy South Dakota should adopt but likely never will. Politician$ and OPM.

Quote Originally Posted by hunter94 View Post
    seems to be some discussion regarding trading road hunting for an extra week of season extending into January?
    landowners are at the point that they want to shut down all road hunting, i can't say as i blame them with what happens too often.

but it seems as though an extended season would often be worthless, as often you can't even get out of the Walmart parking lot in Mitchell, due to the snow in January. the lost revenue from NR hunters would likely be the real result....some vets and others who can't walk or don't want to walk could no longer follow there dogs down the road, hoping to point a rooster in the ditch to blast.

the ditch hunters would still have Iowa, so they would have an option, also with a cheaper license, good for the season.
    change is inevitable, eventually.
    What level is this ""discussion" occurring at? Or whos discussing this, is what I mean.

In montana, you can hunt the railroad right of way.