Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Dog Vest to Prevent Mean Seeds

I'm with FC and Brittman. I dont think a vest will help much to protect from dangerous awns. If fact, it may trap awns that would normally fall by the wayside. Ingestion/inhalation and entrance through an opening is the fastest way for an awn to get started. Fast onset illnesses are almost always inhalation based.
    Last edited by reddog; 12-11-2018 at 09:06 AM.

Ingestion or inhalation??
    "Most pheasants in South Dakota don't react too well to #5s." -The Hunt for Red Rooster

Both. The can enter through the skin too. I remember now that I had to go to a vet in the early 1990s and have a seed awn removed from my dogs foot (penetrated between her toes).

An excerpt from the link I posted in the other mean seed thread:

How they get in
    Grass awns and plant material are thought to enter the mouth or nose when a dog is breathing hard as it runs through a field. The plant material can migrate through the respiratory or gastrointestinal tract or other tissues, or it can penetrate through the skin and migrate elsewhere. Grass awns have backward-pointing barbs that prevent retrograde movement. This makes normal clearing mechanisms ineffective, and grass awns will migrate deeper with normal motion.

Quote Originally Posted by A5 Sweet 16 View Post
    Ingestion or inhalation??
    Both, Ill edit above post.

I've made an appointment w/ a vet who specializes in gun dogs to educate myself more on this. But are you guys suggesting that awns get into the stomach, or caught in the esophagus, & cause problems that way?
    "Most pheasants in South Dakota don't react too well to #5s." -The Hunt for Red Rooster

All Im saying is that when you have a fast onset illness like I did with Breez, and you had with Buzz, (especially during hunting season like both ours were) it probably started from an inhaled or ingested awn, or more than one..

Quote Originally Posted by reddog View Post
    All Im saying is that when you have a fast onset illness like I did with Breez, and you had with Buzz, (especially during hunting season like both ours were) it probably started from an inhaled or ingested awn, or more than one..
    Agreed, as did the vet.

Yes they can be eaten, or inhaled. I know one dog that took one up the sheath of his penis. I have a body in the lung of my boy now. Been on antibiotics for a year and a half. Has not collapsed it yet. Hoping his body will wall it off. Ended his field trial career. As said above, it can burrow in to the body anywhere. It moves or travels because of the barbs, or awns. Designed to burrow in to dirt for germination.
    http://www.bluerivergundogs.com/Home_Page.html

When you think you are smarter than your dog, ask your self who cleans up who's poo.