Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dog Vest to Prevent Mean Seeds

Default Dog Vest to Prevent Mean Seeds

I'm sure I'm not the first to think of this (& actually my wife was the first in our house - I'm apparently pretty slow on the uptake), but I haven't seen it mentioned on UPH (maybe I've just missed it). Since I'm now convinced mean seeds have killed BOTH my springers, my next one WILL wear a vest to at least help minimize the chances of grass awns introducing themselves through the skin. Please consider this as a preventative measure for YOUR dog. And be aware that these things can enter your dog any number of ways. Paws, eyes, ears, larynx, skin, whatever. Read through the entire sticky thread "Dangerous seeds" at the top of this forum.
    "Most pheasants in South Dakota don't react too well to #5s." -The Hunt for Red Rooster

I guess I don't have any experience other than neoprene. But I would the armpits would just collect seeds and the vest moving around would just work them in to the chest. Sorry to hear about your dog.

Ive used 900 denier vests from Cabelas for many years. They dont interfere with anything. My last trip to SD my Springer put a 3 rip in the middle of the chest. I assume from barbed wire. That wouldve been really bad on her without the vest.

Sorry my friend. There is no vest that will protect your dog from grass awns. The only thing you can do is avoid it, and complain to PF, USDA, and legislators. They have to stop planting it.
    http://www.bluerivergundogs.com/Home_Page.html

When you think you are smarter than your dog, ask your self who cleans up who's poo.

Quote Originally Posted by FCSpringer View Post
    Sorry my friend. There is no vest that will protect your dog from grass awns. The only thing you can do is avoid it, and complain to PF, USDA, and legislators. They have to stop planting it.
    Agree about PF, USDA, etc. But don't you think this would help reduce the chances greatly of an awn entering through the skin? Eyes, ears, mouth, feet...no. But I'd think this would help. If I get through this fiasco without intense paranoia, I'll be very happy.
    vest.JPG
    Stole this online. Photo credit to this dog & owner. Also, like his Red Label. I have one just like it.
    "Most pheasants in South Dakota don't react too well to #5s." -The Hunt for Red Rooster

I've used those vests from Cabelas for years. Only problem is they wear out in a season. Now I've been buying similar vests from Sylmar Dogwear http://sylmardogwear.com/ They are more expensive but made much better and last longer. The last one I got from my female Brittany I had custom made. Instead of the bottom of the vest having a cutout for male dogs I had them make it without the cutout to provide my female with some added protection. They did at no additional cost. If you want one made like that just send them and email or give Jerry a call. Great people to work with.

As for whether or not a vest like this will prevent grass awns from getting into your dog? Probably not, but it sure isn't going to hurt anything. I like the protection and visibility the vest affords.
    Janee's August Breeze - Bree
    7/6/2016
    http://gundogcentral.com/view_pedigr...&generations=5

Godfather's Dakota Elle - Elle
    1X NSTRA Champion
    11/16/2008 - 11/22/2016

George, thanks for the insight. I'd read an old thread on vests & people were talking about Sylmar there too.

"Prevent" awns....no. But wouldn't it greatly reduce the number of seeds that get caught in the fur, & therefore reduce the possibility of an awn entering through the skin?? Am I missing something here? Sometimes those little seeds are a real bugger to find & remove from the fur, even on a short-clipped dog.

Earlier in the season I still find a lot of weed seeds in Bree's coat. Not so much this time of year with snow, etc.

You need to get the Spring pup that FCSpringer has.
    Janee's August Breeze - Bree
    7/6/2016

Godfather's Dakota Elle - Elle
    1X NSTRA Champion
    11/16/2008 - 11/22/2016

Quote Originally Posted by Dakotazeb View Post
    Earlier in the season I still find a lot of weed seeds in Bree's coat. Not so much this time of year with snow, etc.

You need to get the Spring pup that FCSpringer has.
    I'm definitely on the lookout. Sounds like FC's pup found a home.
    When I DO have somebody to do all the sniffing, I'll definitely buy a vest. It'll be interesting to see how many stickers & seeds it actually seems to keep off him.

I suspect most awns enter through the nose, eyes, ears, mouth, or feet. Awns entering through the skin on the body have to be fairly low in percentage.