Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Anyone familiar with Vizslas?

Default Anyone familiar with Vizslas?

I owns a 2 year old female Vizsla. She’s an excellent loving dog. Other than being a little tired sometimes she’s a good outdoors dog. She is trained to find and retrieve deer antlers. Having the incredible nose that she does, I would love to put it to work on pheasants. She has a very high catch and retrieve drive so I expect her to be a good fit for the task! Anybody else use or used to have a Vizsla?

Yes, I have five.

Quote Originally Posted by V-John View Post
    Yes, I have five.
    He must have downsized. I think he used to have 7! He has housed a vizsla of mine as well. He can tell you all about em!
    Some people talk about it, some people live it!

And yes in my opinion, their hunting style is geared to pheasants.
    Pipe at Noon.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images

That’s awesome! So you wouldn’t steer me away from making her a bird dog.

I agree with everyone else on here. I have a Vizsla and if you start bird intro and gun intro appropriately I don't see any issue here. Mine didn't really calm down/ figure out wild birds until she was 2 to 2.5 yrs old. Good luck.

Quote Originally Posted by AFields170 View Post
    I owns a 2 year old female Vizsla. She’s an excellent loving dog. Other than being a little tired sometimes she’s a good outdoors dog. She is trained to find and retrieve deer antlers. Having the incredible nose that she does, I would love to put it to work on pheasants. She has a very high catch and retrieve drive so I expect her to be a good fit for the task! Anybody else use or used to have a Vizsla?
    in what way does she seem tired? most V's are a little soft and sensitive. i had one for 14 years and he was a pheasant hunting fool.

Just got home an hour ago from picking up a vizsla puppy for my dad. They love chasing pheasant, the little rascal is 8 weeks old and she is trotting around with a pheasant wing.20181208_160551.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by PheasantWhisperer View Post
    He must have downsized. I think he used to have 7! He has housed a vizsla of mine as well. He can tell you all about em!
    Well, one passed on last summer And one is being bred to Sitka, so... How are those pups by the way???

The pups are doing well. At least the 3 that are hunting dogs that I have contact with. Not quite 5 months old yet but 2 out of the 3 retrieve pretty well already. 1 likes to chew still but we just kind of let them be puppies. All 3 point and are very stylish. Whether it be a planted bird or a cornstalk! Drive is pretty high in all 3. The other 2 pups went to colorado somewhere. One is a house pet. I think the other one will get hunted some. I kept the little female.