Thread: Am I Too late to Train my Dog

Default Am I Too late to Train my Dog

I have a Vizsla purebred. She is just short of 2 years old and loves being out in the woods and fields. I have her trained to find deer sheds and has a great nose to do so. I would love to train her to point pheasants. Is a 2 year old dog too old to still train. If anybody has any input please respond! Thanks

Wishing you the best!
    Last edited by Birdhuntr1; 12-06-2018 at 06:39 PM.

No, go for it
    "We give dogs time we can spare, space we can spare and love we can spare. And in return, dogs give us their all. It's the best deal man has ever made." M.Facklam

I would not intro an adult pointer to birds that arenít strong fliers that will lead to her believing she can catch or crowd birds

Wild birds would be the best to expose her to , find a low grass field pheasants are roosting in and get there at sun up let her find birds that will flush

Talk her up when they do, she will probably chase at first, let her, she will figure out she canít catch them

after she exhibits sheís interested shut up and let her figure out she canít catch them and she will begin to point, a point is simply her stalking and she will point eventually

Keep at it and encourage her if sheís got the instinct it will happen

If no wild birds

Bring her to a shooting preserve with good flying birds on a weekday when no one else is there so no shooting around her Until sheís demonstrating a strong prey drive and follow the same steps as I described on the wild birds above

Itís important to Get her real birdy first then introduce the gun afterwards donít rush it

And we donít train dogs to hunt they are born with that , we train them to cooperate with us

Good luck it shouldnít be hard at all if you have birds to expose her to
    Last edited by bobman; 12-06-2018 at 09:55 AM.

Thanks bobman. She’s never been around a pheasant before, should I be starting with a pheasant dumby and scent?

No use birds