Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rest in Peace, Buzzy Wuzzy, Love Dad

Default Rest in Peace, Buzzy Wuzzy, Love Dad

Well, my day started off unexpectedly & abnormally bad today. Buzz was breathing strange, kind of short & quick. Something definitely wrong. Made an appointment to take him to the vet. Dropped daughter off at school. Got home & he was lying on the floor, drooling, unable to move. Threw him in the truck & got him to the vet. He died about 15 minutes later. Best buddy & pheasant machine, gone. Didnít even make 7 years. Iíve never known a sweeter, happier dog. He was happy 1000% of the time & didnít have a mean bone in his body. Not one.

Iím not ready to reflect. Itís too painful. We hunted this past weekend, pretty successfully, although yesterday I could tell he wasnít quite himself. He really, REALLY knew how to hunt pheasants. Now, right or wrong, Iím beating myself up. The vet showed me an x-ray of his chest. Lungs full of fluid. They werenít sure if it was puss or what. But it did a good job killing him. Temp was 105. They figure it was an infection caused by a ďmigrating foreign bodyĒ, a grass awn, sticker, or something.

Buzz had had 2 ďforeign bodyĒ episodes in the past. Once got a cattail (the pointy very end part of the stick) jammed down his throat. Months later a little piece was working its way out the back of his neck & caused a huge abscess. Major surgery to find the piece, get it out, clean him up & get him stitched up. Looked like Frankenstein.

About a year ago he developed another big lump on his side. The day before I was going to take him to the vet, it ruptured. More surgery to remove the mass. They sent it to Iowa State, but nobody ever found anything in it. What do you do but hope it came out when the rupture occurred?

Tuesday before Thanksgiving (so just 2 weeks ago) he obviously wasnít feeling well when I got home from work. Temp 104. Gave him an aspirin. Later that evening it was 103. In the morning it was 101. He seemed to feel fine, although a bit tentative on stairs & not eating as much as usual. Since the fever was gone, I figured any infection must have cleared up & that since he was almost 7, the hunting is starting to make him a little stiff in the morning. Maybe heíd strained something.

Nope, he had an infection, I guess in his lungs. Killing him. And I did nothing until it was too late. So whatís a guy to do? Take the dog to the vet every time he has the sniffles? Iím telling myself that if he truly had an infection caused by a ďthingĒ in his lung, what are they gonna do? Operate inside his lung? Doubtful. Maybe he was a goner no matter what I did or when I did it. Donít know. But it sure frickiní hurts. So, so sorry, Buzzy.

We had 5 weekends left of the season. Our favorite part of the season. Factor in vacation over the holidaysÖ.we probably had at least a dozen hunts left. Wondering whether Iíll go out at all. What would be the point? With my last dog, he was only 11, but I could see it coming. Had a backup puppy who turned into one hell of a dog. This sudden & unexpected shit sucks ass.
    "Most pheasants in South Dakota don't react too well to #5s." -The Hunt for Red Rooster

So sorry to read this. Don’t beat yourself up as hind sight is always 20/20. Had you known you would have done anything you could have but sometimes it just happens. Have dealt with similar issues with grass awns. They are no fun. When the time is right you will reflect on and remember all the great times you two enjoyed.

Oh man thats horrible Brent. Was looking forward to get together with you two weekend after next. So sorry about Buzz. Dont beat yourself up over the timing. You had his best interest in mind. Im shocked. Hang in there.

Toughest thing in the world; it IS the loss of a family member. My condolences to you.

I agree with those above; you did what you thought was best at the time. That's all any of us can do. We are not omniscient.

The way grass awns work, it could have been one from long ago. If that's even what it was.

There's just no knowing. So, be kind to yourself.

hey Brent...I'm so sorry for your loss.

you know the rest of what I'm thinking. Be gentle with yourself.
    Kis
    For hunters, Fall is the island towards which we swim all year.

He may not have had a full life but his life was full thanks to you. Nothing beats the gone dog blues like a new dog.
    - From the office of Browning, Colt, Winchester & Savage

Really, really sorry to hear this. It is always a difficult decision to bring dogs to the Vet, but I "try" to now error on the side of caution. My middle Britt seems to be prone to tick borne diseases ... her only sign was intermittent shaking (fever). I am better about preventatives now. The second time she showed signs ... I brought her in and the vet said her white blood cell count was high and her platelet count was so low that if she bruised during hunting she would have internally bled out. Internal issues are so much more difficult to care for in a dog than cuts, tears, and injuries to eyes, mouth, body, legs, etc.... I have had two other serious internal issues with Britts in the past 18 years that required immediate vet attention with the only real warning sign of the dog acting a little different. I will tell you that in nearly every case it has been my wife or daughter that noticed the change ... if it was just me ... maybe I and my dog would not have been so fortunate.

Canadian Rye/Foxtail seeds ?? I know a few people on this site have been bringing awareness to the issue. It can be part of some CRP plantings.
    Last edited by BRITTMAN; 12-04-2018 at 12:33 PM.

Some pics from the last month & a half or so. Looks can be pretty deceiving. This was one bad-ass pheasant dog.
    1021181546-1.jpg
    leahbuzz101418a.jpg
    1104181641b.jpg
    1110181504d.jpg
    1122181637.jpg
    Last edited by A5 Sweet 16; 12-04-2018 at 06:47 PM.
    "Most pheasants in South Dakota don't react too well to #5s." -The Hunt for Red Rooster

It's easy to second guess oneself but we cannot live in what if's. By all that you have shown you gave him a great life. All a hunting dog wants is the love of his master and to get to hunt, he was lucky enough to get both. Having the opportunity to hunt every weekend in SD was way more than most of our dogs get from us. My dog thinks every time he gets in the truck he is going hunting only to be disappointed that we are only running to the gas station for a soda or a tank of gas. I am sure if he could talk he would have preferred to be owned by you in SD. Sorry for your loss. I am not going to tell you it will get better with time or to get another dog, all of that will come with time.

Thats one handsome fella Brent. Such a different build than my Annie. She's more petite and Ive never had to give her a haircut. Buzz looks like a strong pup! Great looking crew you have there. Be well.
    Mike