Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: 3 days in South Dakota

^^^ Not sure if that was directed at me, as you quoted me....

But I agree with most of what you said, so I dont know if you are picking on me or not.

Anyways yes, this is sadly becoming a money driven, watered down experience for many, in favor of the few. But as I said before, the rush of the flush will keep me coming back to South Dakota, chasing and hoping like a drug. I am fortunate to only have to drive about 300 miles to get to some real good hunting.

Like I said, one day I hope my son can experience what it was like in 2010.

Quote Originally Posted by Flushedup View Post
    ^^^ Not sure if that was directed at me, as you quoted me....

But I agree with most of what you said, so I dont know if you are picking on me or not.

Anyways yes, this is sadly becoming a money driven, watered down experience for many, in favor of the few. But as I said before, the rush of the flush will keep me coming back to South Dakota, chasing and hoping like a drug. I am fortunate to only have to drive about 300 miles to get to some real good hunting.

Like I said, one day I hope my son can experience what it was like in 2010.
    no, my comments are not directed at anyone, just some frustrating observations. some folks are having pretty good luck, but i think overall many are disappointed. the biggest problem is walking over others, a lack of public ground that seems to be continuously pressured and shrinking in acreage and quality (i saw some walk in that was short wheat stubble and winter wheat, what a joke, SDGFP!)

my one way mileage to get here is over 900 miles......if i have to hunt hard from 10 a.m. to sunset, everyday, to have 3-4 decent shots at roosters, i could do that........but there have been days the past 2-3 years when the gun was only fired once. there is no value in an experience like that. i have dogs and have easily limited out here in the past, but those days are gone. i can accomplish the above while only traveling 450 miles each way and that is about to become my new norm. i can also easily add 2 days and shoot pen raised birds to ensure some dog work, which is really all i care about. not going to drive 900 miles to do that at a lodge for $300/day!
    the pay to play lodges have expanded simply because public hunting has become so much harder to do... those 900 mile trips are tough!

Quote Originally Posted by benelli-banger View Post
    There are plenty of wild birds...and plenty of places where the hunting is tough, mainly due to the hangover of the 2017 drought, which was devastating to the birds. Just because there were birds in certain places 2 or 5 or 10 years ago, isn't relevant at this point...again, plenty of wild birds...and yes, lots of released birds out there...if you're paying for land access, and it's a chunk of change, you may be paying for birds unwittingly...especially if you see lots of roosters and few hens...and the habitat is void of large tracts of grass...just food plots in the middle of black dirt, or mowed grass...
    How do you define LARGE TRACTS of grass?
    Pheasants Forever Life Member

I've hunted them twice, eastern ad. They hold , they seem to fly well.Wild pheasants run, unless they are in thick cattails.Maybe these birds we got in March were wild birds?

Quote Originally Posted by Goosemaster View Post
    I've hunted them twice, eastern ad. They hold , they seem to fly well.Wild pheasants run, unless they are in thick cattails.Maybe these birds we got in March were wild birds?
    If you were hunting in March you must have been hunting at a licensed shooting preserve (otherwise illegal). They release birds and while it would be possible to shoot a wild bird in that situation the odds are against it.......
    Chasing Roosters with a flushing dog on public land. As God intended.......

Quote Originally Posted by hunter94 View Post
    the pay to play lodges have expanded simply because public hunting has become so much harder to do
    Don't agree with the above. I think the lodges have expanded (moderately if you look at the numbers) because they do a great job marketing themselves as an actual hunting experience vs. what many of them really are which is put & take preserve. Throw in some folks with a good amount of disposable income who can supply the demand, see guaranteed success and pass off the trip to the buddies back home as a legit "got my limit everyday" bird hunt and there you go.

I also don't agree that the public hunting experience has degraded that much. I have experienced a couple of tough trips the last 8-years but usually because I am too stubborn to move enough or am hunting solo in difficult late season conditions. All of which happened to one degree or another even in the glory days. If you look at the survey numbers from SD GF&P there have only been two years in the last 10 where the average harvest for non-residents was less than 2 birds per day. Those two years were 2013 & 2017 where some significant weather issues effected the hatch. Only thing I have noticed since 2011 vs. before is that I have to hunt longer each day to get similar results. Just fine with me but as always YMMV and everyone values things differently & for valid reasons.....
    Chasing Roosters with a flushing dog on public land. As God intended.......

Scout...go to the bigger crep properties and check them out...there are quite a few large gpas, wpas, etc. in sd now, there are lots of birds. Lots of birds!