Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Any new reports??

Default Any new reports??

Well we are a few weeks into the season and was wondering how people were doing in Eastern Colorado?!?

not asking for spots, just some counts and maybe the county in which you hunted

any Qauil?

Went out yesterday and had a great time, just me and my dog Duke. Most of the corn is down and the birds finally made their way to the CRP and tall cover areas. Most of the hens held tight and my dogs points were solid and often but those wiley roosters were still flushing at 50 yards or more. Did a ton of walking and finally managed to limit out just as shooting light was fading. It was warm with just a slight breeze blowing which was great for Duke scenting the birds but bad for trying to sneak up on those long tails. Looks like early next week there will be some weather that will be more conducive to pheasant hunting, only problem is I need to choose between bird and plains whitetail. I think I know which choice I will pick.
    Just a boy and his dogs.

Hey sig!

Thanks for the update! I'm glad to hear someone is out there finding birds! The corn is down!! Hooray!! That will make a huge difference! Where abouts were you hunting yesterday (generally speaking of course)?

If you do end up going after some more roosters and are looking for an extra hunter let me know! I have not had the pleasure of hunting with many pointing pups and I would greatly appreciate the opportunity to do so!

Thanks Sig, and straight shooting!

Hunted in Yuma area. Lots of good WIA's in the north side of town, you just have to burn a lot of boot leather and don't be afraid to walk any area that you think may hold birds.
    Just a boy and his dogs.

Thanks for the info sig!

Default The birds are back in town!

Wednesday morning, 7am, and I'm sitting in traffic on 225. Gawd! I hate this road. Two and a half hours later and I pull up to my first field only to find two good friends walking out of it. Duke and I jump out of the truck and meet up with J and his new GSP pup Blue, and R, who recently lost his GSP Sage. They tell me they put up birds but they just couldn't seem to knock them down. We load up and head over to our "go to" field. It's about 45 degrees with a slight breeze and the dogs get birdy as soon as we let them out. Long story short , the hens are holding tight and the roosters are letting us get closer than usual. After some great points and nice flushes we have nothing to show for our troubles. All three of us couldn't shoot straight and our dogs are mad as heck. The Three Stooges would have been proud of us. J & R had to head back to Denver so Duke and I kept hunting. Luck shone down on us as the temp dropped, the wind picked up and light flurries started to fall. Now this is my kind of pheasant weather. I still had to burn a ton of shoe leather and, once again it took me until last light to limit but it was another successful day.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Just a boy and his dogs.

Nothing like hittin a limit with your pup! Your girl looks just like mine! I just moved to town and did a ton of pheasant hunting up in ND but am still trying to get a lay of the land here. Where you up in the Yuma area again? I did a good bit of walking on Saturday when the wind was gusting 50 mph and flushed two roosters and a hen south of Stratton area in WIA. The combo of being a little too far out and the high winds led to a fruitless effort but it was great to get my girl back out on some scents!

A bad day hunting is better than a good day at work. Actually FeasantPhever that's my boy Duke. Yes, I do most of my hunting on land north of Yuma and with Pheasants Forever putting in more corners every year, the opportunities are getting better and better. I prefer a good wind blowing but 50 mph makes it tougher for the dog to scent. Just as an FYI - I always try to walk into the wind and I tend to walk very slow. I takes me over twice as long as the average hunter to cover a field or corner but I'll cross cross it as much as possible. Like I said, I burn a ton of boot leather but I usually kick up birds that others would walk right by. Good luck.
    Just a boy and his dogs.

Great job Sig, keep up the good work! You hunting the same areas as last year? I've only gotten out once here in CO but finally shot my first limit here.

Image.jpg

Great job Chief! The dogs look as happy as you do. Is that a featherweight or a Grade III Citori?
    "When I am not hunting I am thinking about hunting. Hunting is on my mind because it is in my blood."
    -- Jim Shockey