Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Last hunt at my honey hole

Default Last hunt at my honey hole

Hunted a spot for the last 15 years, have taken a few guys off this site there. Several of my posted videos came from that spot. Farmer always planted milo and plum thickets were plentiful. Last year on 250 acres it held 10-12 coveys. I only hunt it a few a year normally and would always get a limit. This year I went to hunt it and the farmer had put up electric fences and had cows everywhere. No crops planted this year, just grass for cows. All the plum thickets had been trampled, all grass grubbed down to nothing. All birds gone except 1 covey hanging on. The one covey that was left was by an old cabin that normally is uninhabited. This year it had an old lady living in it. Of course she comes out with a glock 9mm telling me to get the hell out of there and she doesn't allow hunting on her 10 acres.... crazy old bat. I wasn't on her 10 acres I was on the other side. She looked like she was in there smoking meth or doing crack.

Crazy how fast things can change for the birds. I'm glad I got to take my dad there for our first ever hunt together last year.(all my family lives in Alabama) My 2 brothers were coming to hunt with me for the first time ever this year and I was planning on taking them there. Have to figure something else out now.
    -Mark

That hAppened to one of my pheasant spots.The farmer let his brother put his cows on his section.Basically ruined the whole place for birds.Huge bummer.

10-12 coveys?!

Quote Originally Posted by BirdGuy View Post
    10-12 coveys?!
    Yup, no exaggeration. They all gone now though... well all except 1 covey.
    -Mark

Quote Originally Posted by MAB7799 View Post
    Yup, no exaggeration. They all gone now though... well all except 1 covey.
    Had the same thing happen around Kinsley. Guy had a few quarters of ground - most of it I could hunt but never did and never needed to - a half section and a quarter all contiguous - 2-4 very large coveys religiously - prairie chickens and Lord knows how many pheasants on this ground - and 1/4 of it was usually corn the rest pasture, 20 acres of crp and crp corners on the corn circle. About 10 yrs that lasted - then he tore out the crp - or rather refenced it for the cows - they mowed it down to dirt - crp corners were there but all the neighbors tore out their crp - birds still a few around but not worth hunting anymore. Guy doesnt know where the birds went. Nicest farmer I'd ever met - spent a good chunk of college 2000 to mid 00's there and then a few years when I moved back to Wichita - think it went down the toilet about 2010 if I recall. I could literally spend all day on 320 acres and did many many times and be consistently in birds a large chunk of the time - mind you plenty of hens but I loved the dog work. Scary how fast things change when the habitat recipe is not present for upland birds. Just never felt it was my place to make any suggestions - he had some other places that were marginal but were always overgrazed so held nothing - just never knew how to broach the subject of habitat as I do not understand how it would affect his bottomline. One of those frustrating things.

I've gotten to the point, where I don't hunt places cattle have been.It just isn't worth the time.You might see a few hens, in a whole section of ground.They really ruin the bird cover.

Maybe the cows are just temporary. If he rotates them off, the result might be similar to a Spring burn, where the old dead grass is gone and new plants get a chance to come up. I hope that's the case for you.

Hope it ownly temporary , I have the same thing happen . Farming practices change for better and for the worse.often the result is less habitat.

On a positive note out west we hunted a Suedan Feild ( locals call feed feild ) that had laid over before it could get harvested . We moved about 60 pheasants and harvested 7 roosters . I am sure it will be wheat or beans nest year .

Quote Originally Posted by KsHusker View Post
    Guy doesnt know where the birds went.
    Tell him. You don’t have to berate him or accuse him or guilt trip him, but nothing is gained by pussy-footing around.

Quote Originally Posted by s.davis View Post
    Tell him. You don’t have to berate him or accuse him or guilt trip him, but nothing is gained by pussy-footing around.
    I did tell him. We have been friends for years and he asked how the hunt went, I told him about the cows/lack of food/etc.
    -Mark