Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Numbers so far...

Default Numbers so far...

Haven't got a great feel for how everybody did from the opener until now, but the general feeling I'm getting is that numbers are the same or down from last year, just as the forecast predicted. We hunted southwest on opening day and had our worst day since probably 2013- but I attribute some of that to the odd conditions and bird patterns being off (none of the pheasants we shot had grain in their crops, and we never saw a bird in the milo). What say ye?

Opening weekend we hunted a little bit of grass the rest milo. Corners on corn circles. Emaculate not a weed in it. Like a perfectly manicured yard. Feedlot operation, gives you second thoughts about the beef that your eating. Might become a vegetarian.

Definitely not better than last year, maybe worse. At least in the areas I hunt.

Maybe things will be different once all the crops are cut.

Quote Originally Posted by matto View Post
    Definitely not better than last year, maybe worse. At least in the areas I hunt.

Maybe things will be different once all the crops are cut.
    i took my lumps in SD and NE, mainly because the standing corn was still everywhere....waiting until after TG to sample Kansas.
    Hoping that pays off.

Hunted NE Kansas mostly WIHA. Found 6-8 coveys on S,M,Tu - no repeat coveys- hunted different WIHA's each day. Birds were buried in heavy cover. They were hard to find and walked 7 miles each day. The covey's were healthy with most having 15-18 birds. Killed one rooster each day for total of 3. Good dog work with English Pointers.

That was 6-8 coveys per day

Worse than last year for our opening weekend.

We did see lots more hunters this year. We saw none last year and six or seven different groups this year. There were bow hunters on most WIHA's we hunted

Hunted great cover in Smith County on Friday, one hen and one covey of quail pointed. I will give some consideration to the fact that I was using an 9 month old pup, but still seemed like bird numbers were down from last year.

Rut

I think you'll see an increase in numbers as the crops get cut. Here in the south central part of the state, we've still got beans out, and uncut milo. I know of two near half sections of uncut milo which was drilled into sprayed wheat. Those birds don't have to leave and are getting fat and happy sitting in the field.

One thing of which I am shocked, is we have yet to see a covey, but I'm wondering how many were wiped out by those October floods.