Thread: Few picks from today.

Default Few picks from today.

Got out today,for the year three half days and one full day total. Monday was probably my best day as far as birds seen. Today the best as far as birds shot. Left one in the field and brought 2 home. Not a lot of pheasants around but it is what it is I guess. You still have to get the pups out.

Knocked the first bird down shortly after getting out of the truck and it turned into a foot race on the road. So I went ahead and tossed it back into the weeds for the pup, after a little barking and some general goof balling around it turned into her first live bird retrieve

DSCN4473.JPG

DSCN4471.JPG

Hit the second field good cover but not many birds. Knocked the first down 30 minutes in looked hard but just could not find it. Second shortly after. Hunted another hour and nothing save a few hens and a nice covey of quail. Stopped for a picture in the ditch before loading up. If the pup wont sit still there is nothing left to do but give them each one and see what shows up.

DSCN4476.JPG

Very nice pics. It was a beautiful evening, wasn't it?

Yes it was not a speck of wind.

Nice pics, How old is your pup?

Quote Originally Posted by kick them up View Post
    Nice pics, How old is your pup?
    She'll be 7 months on Sat. . A little under 60 lbs. I don't see her getting much bigger. Have hunted her a couple a times behind the big dog. I'm going to wait to turn her loose by herself until we get on some good ground hopefully in 2 or 3 weeks

Quote Originally Posted by BrownDogsCan2 View Post
    She'll be 7 months on Sat. . A little under 60 lbs. I don't see her getting much bigger. Have hunted her a couple a times behind the big dog. I'm going to wait to turn her loose by herself until we get on some good ground hopefully in 2 or 3 weeks
    I have one at 18 months she is at 65lbs and this is her 2nd season. She looks to be on track and we are off this weekend to do a combo waterfowl /upland hunt. It will be her 1st time on waterfowl so I am hoping the best.

Quote Originally Posted by kick them up View Post
    I have one at 18 months she is at 65lbs and this is her 2nd season. She looks to be on track and we are off this weekend to do a combo waterfowl /upland hunt. It will be her 1st time on waterfowl so I am hoping the best.
    For some reason I thought yours was a shorthair. But I get you and rut confused for whatever reason. Maybe it's because you hunt the same areas? maybe. My mom was originally from Rush county. Love those first couple years with a new dog, watching them learn and develop and grow. Good luck this weekend.