Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Barrel cut down

When I sought a gunsmith to cut my Browning Stalker barrel, I visited Ahlman's, Morristown, Mn.

A gunsmith was going to perform the work, but backed out due to the barrel configuration. He said Briley would be his choice for the work; he said Truchokes won't work. Apparently new chokes need to be developed and installed.

Just thought you might like to know my experience. Wonder if this situation applies to the new 16 Sweet? Would assume the barrels are the same...

Briley was well above $150, but could do the cut and chokes...
    Last edited by jonnyB; 11-27-2018 at 09:28 AM.

We just need Browning to offer the Sweet with a 23-24 inch barrel and straight grip stock. Probably be about 5 1/2 lbs and a dream to carry.

Quote Originally Posted by jalinkly View Post
    We just need Browning to offer the Sweet with a 23-24 inch barrel and straight grip stock. Probably be about 5 1/2 lbs and a dream to carry.
    Read my post that is a few back. I sent Browning the suggestion that they offer the Sweet in a 24" barrel and also make 24" barrels available to those of us that would like a shorter barrel on our existing Sweets. Maybe if we get enough people requesting 24" barrels they will actually do it. So all of you that would like a shorter barrel please go on Brownings web site and send them that suggestion.
    Janee's August Breeze - Bree
    7/6/2016
    http://gundogcentral.com/view_pedigr...&generations=5

Godfather's Dakota Elle - Elle
    1X NSTRA Champion
    11/16/2008 - 11/22/2016

Go to www.browning.com and scroll over "Support" at the top of the page. You will get a drop down. Down the list is "Send Us Your Ideas". Click on that link and you will have the instructions for submitting your ideas.
    Janee's August Breeze - Bree
    7/6/2016

Godfather's Dakota Elle - Elle
    1X NSTRA Champion
    11/16/2008 - 11/22/2016

Quote Originally Posted by Dakotazeb View Post
    Go to www.browning.com and scroll over "Support" at the top of the page. You will get a drop down. Down the list is "Send Us Your Ideas". Click on that link and you will have the instructions for submitting your ideas.
    Done. Lets keep this going.

Got a reply already. That was fast.

Im all in on Browning offering replacement 24 barrels for the new Sweet 16s. I bought a new Sweet 16 a few weeks back and the only barrel length I could find was a 28. It shoots great, but I like a shorter barrel when quail hunting.

Im also going to message Browning and give them my input.

Quote Originally Posted by mgorvi View Post
    $150 including 1 truchoke thin wall choke.
    Had them install the thin wall(titanium I believe) in my Arieta doubles a few years backvery pleased with their work-
    Using them you would also have a choice of more/various chocksJMO

Quote Originally Posted by mgorvi View Post
    Im gonna send the barrel of my new Sweet 16 to Briley to cut it down. I bought the 28 and have a Trulock extended skeet 2 choke in it. It looks and feels like the the guns on the battleship Missouri. The action on this gun is really long. What am I talking for cost; $150, $250? I have no idea. I bought the long version cuz I thought shed swing through a little smoother for me, but its looks like Elvira Gultchs broomstick on the Wizard of Oz. Just wondering how much its gonna set me back. Thanks.
    Mgorvi: Wondering how the barrel cut worked out? Can you update us?

Thanks.

Default Barrel chop

[QUOTE=jonnyB;249346]Mgorvi: Wondering how the barrel cut worked out? Can you update us?

Thanks.[/QUOTE

After listening to some of the guys here I mailed it to Mike Orlen yesterday. I spoke with him, and someone at Briley and I’m sure either one would have done a very good job. No question that Mr. Orlen was less expensive. I decided to have it cut back to the next rib post, which will be just over two inches less. I am trying to get the length to match up with the Benelli Ultralight that I just bought, at 47 1/4 inches. I’m still not sure what kind of choke I will end up with. I think it depends on the tooling he has. I use Trulocks in my A5 and my Cynergy 20ga., but we will see what he is able to do with that. Anyway, I hope I’m on the right track. The 26” A5s were harder to find, and I got a good deal on the 28” from Reed’s, so I went with the 28”. I didn’t realize how long the receivers are when I bought it. I didn’t do my homework, and now I have to pay. As I age, I have developed a preference for light guns, and I tend to shoot quickly. Most likely because beyond 40 yards I completely suck. Man’s gotta know his limitations.