Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Barrel cut down

Default Barrel cut down

Im gonna send the barrel of my new Sweet 16 to Briley to cut it down. I bought the 28 and have a Trulock extended skeet 2 choke in it. It looks and feels like the the guns on the battleship Missouri. The action on this gun is really long. What am I talking for cost; $150, $250? I have no idea. I bought the long version cuz I thought shed swing through a little smoother for me, but its looks like Elvira Gultchs broomstick on the Wizard of Oz. Just wondering how much its gonna set me back. Thanks.

its much, much cheaper and much, much faster to send them to Mike Orlen. He's a shotgun barrel guru and he is crazy fast at getting the work done.

Default Thanks for contact

Quote Originally Posted by Jakeismydog2 View Post
    its much, much cheaper and much, much faster to send them to Mike Orlen. He's a shotgun barrel guru and he is crazy fast at getting the work done.
    Thanks for the heads up. I will contact him and make arrangements. Seems like the guy to go with, from what I read.

I called Briley about a month ago and inquired about cutting the barrel - I had a quote over the phone. Can't recall the number, but they were willing to alter the barrel (Bng. 12 ga. Stalker). Decided to sell the gun rather than make the cut.

Local gunsmith refused to make the cut and referred me to Briley...

Good luck!

Mark, how short are you going to go? If it were me I would consider going to 24". That would make it about the same length as a 26" old Sweet and you would still have a long enough sighting plane.

Are you on the 16ga.com forum? Look under "Guns" for a thread called "New Sweet 16, Short Version". This guy had Briley cut his 28" barrel down. He didn't state the cost so I posted and asked him. I'll let you know what he says.
    Janee's August Breeze - Bree
    7/6/2016
    http://gundogcentral.com/view_pedigr...&generations=5

Godfather's Dakota Elle - Elle
    1X NSTRA Champion
    11/16/2008 - 11/22/2016

I will go to 24". With the Trulock tube it will be perfect for me. I screwed up when I bought it. I had no idea the receiver was so long on those guns. I dropped a couple with it when we were out a couple weeks ago and I think it will serve me well as I shoot it more. I hope when they do the work it still looks decent and not like an eighth grader with a hacksaw did it.

The forend on my Bng." Stalker" 12 ga. is about 40% longer than my A5 Light, hence the gun is 3" longer. Too long!

Good luck with your proposed alteration.

You can submit ideas to Browning via an email. So I emailed them about the overall length of the new A5's compared to the older Belgium made Sweets. I suggested that they offer a 24" barrel on the new A5's and also make 24" barrels available to those of us that would like to replace the barrel on our new Sweets. Not sure how far it will get but at least I tried.
    Janee's August Breeze - Bree
    7/6/2016

Godfather's Dakota Elle - Elle
    1X NSTRA Champion
    11/16/2008 - 11/22/2016

Did you find out the cost? I’m thinking that if the work can be done, you could go with just about any length you’d like, once it’s past the current choke allowance. 24-1/2, 25, whatever. I would likely second guess myself after making the change.

Quote Originally Posted by Ericb View Post
    Did you find out the cost? Im thinking that if the work can be done, you could go with just about any length youd like, once its past the current choke allowance. 24-1/2, 25, whatever. I would likely second guess myself after making the change.
    $150 including 1 truchoke thin wall choke.