Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: NC KS report

Quote Originally Posted by KansasGsp View Post
    Is the hunting as good as it was 15 years ago, the answer is no. But, there are still birds to be had. The problem is you now have to put in the miles and work your rear off to get them. The days of "easy" limits are probably long gone. Most don't want to work for their birds, instead they just bitch and moan about it not being easy. This pretty much relates to everything now a days, not just bird hunting. The sport of bird hunting is dyeing, I don't see many younger guys doing it anymore. I teach and I only had one kid go out opening weekend, used to not be that way. Again, it's hard work that most aren't willing to do.
    Kansas is still popular because there is an abundance of walk in ground...most (out of state) guys are happy just to have a place to hunt. the state sponsors the WI program and we are thankful they do. if you are a local you should have enough private ground to hunt, unless you are too lazy to ask.

Stopping out of state is not the answer. As a matter of fact I had to discourage our local contact not to go back and hunt the same coveys. It goes back to ethics, sportsmanship, and having a little class. Unfortunately, some hunters are greedy- but I think for the most part people try to use sportsmanship. There is a lot of ground to cover there. I was disappointed with WIHA in Washington County. Surrounding counties had much better WIHA to offer. You are right, had to work for birds- averaged walking 7 miles per day- no gimme's - country we hunted favored a big running dog- something that could cover lots of ground.

I walked 11.2 miles on Sunday for the coveys I found.

My original post was a knee jerk reaction to what I witnessed on Sunday. I NEVER shoot a covey down. I harvest 1 or 2 birds and move on. I don't hunt the same coveys over and over. I go try to find new ones. I respect the birds and even more so, I appreciate their existence and I want them to flourish for future generations. When I witness folks who disrespect KS's resources it makes me fuming mad. While I'm sure there are in-state hunters that do this, so far I have only seen it was out of state hunters. That's just my experience so far. Everyone will dog pile on me for dogging on out of state hunters but I don't care, the actions I witness speak louder than any words on a forum.

I'm just flat pissed at how people treat the land and the birds. If you don't fall into the category I'm complaining about then thank you for being one of those people.
    -Mark

Quote Originally Posted by MAB7799 View Post
    I walked 11.2 miles on Sunday for the coveys I found.

My original post was a knee jerk reaction to what I witnessed on Sunday. I NEVER shoot a covey down. I harvest 1 or 2 birds and move on. I don't hunt the same coveys over and over. I go try to find new ones. I respect the birds and even more so, I appreciate their existence and I want them to flourish for future generations. When I witness folks who disrespect KS's resources it makes me fuming mad. While I'm sure there are in-state hunters that do this, so far I have only seen it was out of state hunters. That's just my experience so far. Everyone will dog pile on me for dogging on out of state hunters but I don't care, the actions I witness speak louder than any words on a forum.

I'm just flat pissed at how people treat the land and the birds. If you don't fall into the category I'm complaining about then thank you for being one of those people.
    i would and have walked 8-10 miles to shoot one rooster pointed by my dog.......it's always worth it, just ask him.

Quote Originally Posted by MAB7799 View Post
    While I'm sure there are in-state hunters that do this, so far I have only seen it was out of state hunters. That's just my experience so far. Everyone will dog pile on me for dogging on out of state hunters but I don't care, the actions I witness speak louder than any words on a forum.
    Do yourself a favor: read a little about false logic, anecdotal evidence, faulty generalizations, cognitive bias, informal fallacies, the availability heuristic, scientifically significant sample size in statistics and confirmation bias.

Or save yourself the trouble: you are wrong.

Have been an out of state Kansas hunter for over 20 years. Have met some outstanding folks during that time and consider them friends. We look forward to seeing them and I believe it to be mutual. Fortunate to be able to hunt private land 90% of our time spent there. We would never decimate a covey as we get to hunt the same farms each year and know approximately where the coveys will be located but still average 8-10 miles of walking daily. Believe me, that is harder to do at almost 60 versus when I was a young 30 something. I only wish I was close enough to make 3-4 trips a year instead of just one. My hunting party will not make or break the local economy but I'm willing to say out of state hunters will easily spend $1200 to $1500 in the great state of Kansas while visiting. Go K-State Wildcats!

Quote Originally Posted by fsentkilr View Post
    Most of the guys I know who complain about out of state hunters, are locals who don't own any ground. They feel like the out of state guys are "infringing" on their rights to hunt. IMO the out of state guys that have ask to hunt are a lot more respectful than most of the locals who act like I owe them the right to hunt. The business owners in the small towns of western Kansas sure like it when more business is brought into town. These same guys are the ones who come on here telling everyone there are no birds, the roads are terrible, you aren't wanted, so don't waste your time coming out. All a ploy to keep it to themselves.
    Here we go!

Quote Originally Posted by westksbowhunter View Post
    Here we go!
    I am not sure what you mean by that. I stand by everything I said. I actually had a local chastise me for inviting a couple friends from Georgia here to hunt. He used to work for us a while back. He didn't like those guys hunting on ground he could hunt. Well he can't hunt it anymore, and the Georgia friends are still more than welcome. That is just one example I could give a lot more.

Are there moderators on this site anymore? This thread and the other one about out of state hunters have both turned into a cow pie throwing contest.

Maybe the lack of birds has caused guys to take their frustration out on each other here? I dont know for sure, but it sure makes this a place somewhere I don't want to hang out.

Quote Originally Posted by Jakeismydog2 View Post
    Are there moderators on this site anymore? This thread and the other one about out of state hunters have both turned into a cow pie throwing contest.

Maybe the lack of birds has caused guys to take their frustration out on each other here? I dont know for sure, but it sure makes this a place somewhere I don't want to hang out.
    My sentiments exactly. Internet forums often devolve into this kind of thing, but UPH has usually managed to stay above the fray. would like to see it kept that way!