Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 27

Thread: NC KS report

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Topeka KS
    Posts
    168

    Default NC KS report

    Hunted today at one of my spots and was extremely disappointed. The 3 coveys I did find had been shot up so bad there were only 8 birds in 2 of them and maybe 10 in the other. Saw 3 groups of out of state hunters, 2 with dog trailers, and 8 quail carcasses in the parking lot of one of the spots I hunted. The covey I found there had 8 birds left in it.

    Saw only 2 pheasants all day. Bird numbers are definitely down and when you combine that with the constant FB posts about how amazing Kansas is and all the out of state hunters who come here in droves to annihilate our upland bird populations, before long we will be Missouri. Void of quail and pheasant.

    I've never seen so much hunting pressure, especially from out of state hunters. It's getting bad... real bad. The few coveys we do have you can't hunt anymore because they are so small. I just pray they survive and its only the 2nd freaking weekend of season!

    For all you out of staters... please come here, spend your money and I hope you find ZERO BIRDS.
    -Mark

  2. #2

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MAB7799 View Post
    Hunted today at one of my spots and was extremely disappointed. The 3 coveys I did find had been shot up so bad there were only 8 birds in 2 of them and maybe 10 in the other. Saw 3 groups of out of state hunters, 2 with dog trailers, and 8 quail carcasses in the parking lot of one of the spots I hunted. The covey I found there had 8 birds left in it.

    Saw only 2 pheasants all day. Bird numbers are definitely down and when you combine that with the constant FB posts about how amazing Kansas is and all the out of state hunters who come here in droves to annihilate our upland bird populations, before long we will be Missouri. Void of quail and pheasant.

    I've never seen so much hunting pressure, especially from out of state hunters. It's getting bad... real bad. The few coveys we do have you can't hunt anymore because they are so small. I just pray they survive and its only the 2nd freaking weekend of season!

    For all you out of staters... please come here, spend your money and I hope you find ZERO BIRDS.
    Pheasant numbers are drastically down. Lower than the numbers were in 2012-2014 and about as bad as I have ever seen it. We had hail storm after hail storm this year.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    105

    Default

    The hail was from out of state too, I hear.

  4. #4

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by s.davis View Post
    The hail was from out of state too, I hear.
    Nothing funny about the hail we had. My house repair came to $28,000.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Nov 2018
    Posts
    3

    Default

    Sorry you feel that way about us out of staters. I just got back from south central - spent a lot of money but the hunting was great. Lots of roosters and big coveys of quail.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    105

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by westksbowhunter View Post
    Nothing funny about the hail we had. My house repair came to $28,000.
    I guess I’m free to laugh at whatever the hail I want to.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jul 2015
    Location
    Mid Missouri
    Posts
    783

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MAB7799 View Post
    Hunted today at one of my spots and was extremely disappointed. The 3 coveys I did find had been shot up so bad there were only 8 birds in 2 of them and maybe 10 in the other. Saw 3 groups of out of state hunters, 2 with dog trailers, and 8 quail carcasses in the parking lot of one of the spots I hunted. The covey I found there had 8 birds left in it.

    Saw only 2 pheasants all day. Bird numbers are definitely down and when you combine that with the constant FB posts about how amazing Kansas is and all the out of state hunters who come here in droves to annihilate our upland bird populations, before long we will be Missouri. Void of quail and pheasant.

    I've never seen so much hunting pressure, especially from out of state hunters. It's getting bad... real bad. The few coveys we do have you can't hunt anymore because they are so small. I just pray they survive and its only the 2nd freaking weekend of season!

    For all you out of staters... please come here, spend your money and I hope you find ZERO BIRDS.
    Void of what?
    111818.jpg

    And take a little blame yourself there bud. If you don't like the pressure maybe you should be a little more closed lip about the videos you post to youtube and every other stalker who views this forum. And the hunting pressure is just as bad in Missouri. By the time you plow through deer hunters and try to avoid the areas where you're dogs may get caught in a trap, there's not much to chose from. But we find other spots because we live here. That's where locals have the advantage, so quit crying about it and be glad you live in Kansas. Other than having to root for the Jayhawks its a great place!
    Last edited by PheasantWhisperer; 11-18-2018 at 11:19 PM.
    Some people talk about it, some people live it!

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    105

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MAB7799 View Post
    Bird numbers are definitely down and when you combine that with the constant FB posts about how amazing Kansas is and all the out of state hunters who come here in droves to annihilate our upland bird populations, before long we will be Missouri. Void of quail and pheasant.
    So was it out of state hunters who killed all the birds in Missouri (a state that has never been an upland bird hunting destination) too? Or is it possible that the reason bird numbers are decimated in Missouri and spiraling down in Kansas (and all the other pheasant hotbeds) is due to the factors that every biologist and specialist repeatedly tells us...


    And if so, maybe the way to have better bird hunting for Kansas residents is to correct the root cause of quail and pheasant (and hunter numbers, as well) population collapse, not just to whine about out of state hunters bringing tourism $$ to a state in economic ruin with no other source of tourism $$.
    Last edited by s.davis; 11-19-2018 at 09:24 AM.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Colony, Ks
    Posts
    583

    Default

    Most of the guys I know who complain about out of state hunters, are locals who don't own any ground. They feel like the out of state guys are "infringing" on their rights to hunt. IMO the out of state guys that have ask to hunt are a lot more respectful than most of the locals who act like I owe them the right to hunt. The business owners in the small towns of western Kansas sure like it when more business is brought into town. These same guys are the ones who come on here telling everyone there are no birds, the roads are terrible, you aren't wanted, so don't waste your time coming out. All a ploy to keep it to themselves.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Wichita
    Posts
    401

    Default

    Is the hunting as good as it was 15 years ago, the answer is no. But, there are still birds to be had. The problem is you now have to put in the miles and work your rear off to get them. The days of "easy" limits are probably long gone. Most don't want to work for their birds, instead they just bitch and moan about it not being easy. This pretty much relates to everything now a days, not just bird hunting. The sport of bird hunting is dyeing, I don't see many younger guys doing it anymore. I teach and I only had one kid go out opening weekend, used to not be that way. Again, it's hard work that most aren't willing to do.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •