Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Dog Shutting Down

Quote Originally Posted by jonnyB View Post
    George: do you feed the dog in the morning, before the hunt?
    No I don't. I've always fed once a day in the late afternoon or early evening. I've been a believer that a dog runs better during a day of hunting or field trialing on an empty stomach. BUT, I may have to change my thinking. I may starting feeding a small portion of her food in the morning on days that I hunt. Think I will also carry some Karo syrup, honey or peanut butter with me. Maybe make a peanut butter and honey sandwich and feed portions of it throughout the hunt.

Even us old goats can learn something new every day.
    Janee's August Breeze - Bree
    7/6/2016
    http://gundogcentral.com/view_pedigr...&generations=5

Godfather's Dakota Elle - Elle
    1X NSTRA Champion
    11/16/2008 - 11/22/2016

Might be worth a try...and treats during the day, as you described in your message. I've always fed my dog before the hunt and never had and adverse effects. Nor have I had a dog quit. He does, however, slow way down when it's hot.

Might be worth a try...and treats during the day, as you described in your message. I've always fed my dog before the hunt and never had and adverse effects. Nor have I had a dog quit. He does, however, slow way down when it's hot.
    Same procedure, same experience JohnnyB. I also carry a few Costco Chicken/Rice dog biscuits and the herd gets a noontime snack on one or two of those.

Feeding a dog before hunting is generally a very bad idea. Just the same as feeding directly after hunting. You could be dealing with a dog that has EIC (Exercise-Indused Collapse). A simple blood test at a quality vet clinic will give you the answer. I would surely do this before messing with feeding before hunting. If it is EIC and you continue hunting the dog you could end up with a result you don't want.

Quote Originally Posted by westksbowhunter View Post
    Feeding a dog before hunting is generally a very bad idea. Just the same as feeding directly after hunting. You could be dealing with a dog that has EIC (Exercise-Indused Collapse). A simple blood test at a quality vet clinic will give you the answer. I would surely do this before messing with feeding before hunting. If it is EIC and you continue hunting the dog you could end up with a result you don't want.
    I tend to agree with feeding before hunting. But I've know many dogs whose owners fed them a small portion of their daily food in the morning and I've never know one of them to have a problem.

After reading a fair amount on the internet about EIC I would seriously doubt that is the issue. Symptoms are different than what I'm seeing and EIC is not know to effect Brittanys. More prevalent in Labs and other retrieving breeds.

I will visit with my vet just to make sure there is no serious problem.
    Janee's August Breeze - Bree
    7/6/2016

Godfather's Dakota Elle - Elle
    1X NSTRA Champion
    11/16/2008 - 11/22/2016

Feed it light and early...

This seems to be the common theme I see/review on line.

If a dog is burning 2500-3000 calories a day - how does the dog make that up, with one feed at night? Must be a pile of dog food!
    Last edited by jonnyB; 11-18-2018 at 02:27 PM.

Feed it light and early...

This seems to be the common theme I see/review on line.

If a dog is burning 2500-3000 calories a day - how does the dog make that up, with one feed at night? Must be a pile of dog food!
    Sorry but you are giving misinformation. A dogs digestive system is totally different from humans. https://www.ducks.org/hunting/retrie...in-the-marshes

Quote Originally Posted by westksbowhunter View Post
    While I agree with you in a state that has a sun up start but not in South Dakota where you don’t start till 10 am. While hunting there I always feed him a can of high quality food at about 630 or7 am. I have never had an issue with a dog running out of gas unless it is real hot

Quote Originally Posted by Dakotazeb View Post
    No I don't. I've always fed once a day in the late afternoon or early evening. I've been a believer that a dog runs better during a day of hunting or field trialing on an empty stomach. BUT, I may have to change my thinking. I may starting feeding a small portion of her food in the morning on days that I hunt. Think I will also carry some Karo syrup, honey or peanut butter with me. Maybe make a peanut butter and honey sandwich and feed portions of it throughout the hunt.

Even us old goats can learn something new every day.
    I would recommend letting her eat all she wants the afternoon/evening before a day of hunting rather than her usual ration, and nothing in the a.m. of the hunt.
    Last edited by BritChaser; 11-19-2018 at 04:00 PM.
    - From the office of Browning, Colt, Winchester & Savage