Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Just starting trip.....

Default Just starting trip.....

Just got to the house last night. Today is day one of a nine day hunt. Will post some updates as the week goes along. One thing I have noticed as commented by many. Still a ton of corn standing for this time of year.

Quote Originally Posted by BeirlSetters View Post
    Just got to the house last night. Today is day one of a nine day hunt. Will post some updates as the week goes along. One thing I have noticed as commented by many. Still a ton of corn standing for this time of year.
    Have a great time! Leave some for us weekend warriors.
    "Most pheasants in South Dakota don't react too well to #5s." -The Hunt for Red Rooster

Good luck, and post a few updates when you can. I start a 9-day trip in a little more than a week, so I'm looking forward to hearing what the conditions are like.

Quote Originally Posted by BeirlSetters View Post
    Chad, we are getting sleet and snow in NE South Dakota, roads are getting icy. Safe travels
    SDviking

Finished first day of hunt in Southeast part of the state. Hunting private land, more corn than I've ever seen still standing this time of year. Party of 9, 4 birds today and hunted hard all day. Fields are flooded and walking is miserable with the field being sloppy. Looks like it's going to be a very slow week.

Quote Originally Posted by 0918style View Post
    Finished first day of hunt in Southeast part of the state. Hunting private land, more corn than I've ever seen still standing this time of year. Party of 9, 4 birds today and hunted hard all day. Fields are flooded and walking is miserable with the field being sloppy. Looks like it's going to be a very slow week.
    Same situation we saw last week. Only birds we found were hunkered down on the banks of the James River.

Well we have two days under out belt. Cover is the best I have seen a some years. We are killing birds but its tough with the crops in. Young dogs are getting enough contact to experience SD the way they should. Was able on day one to get my young nine month old Gordan her first point and kill on a wild bird in the first field of the year, very rewarding experience. On another note this is the most corn/beans I have seen in the fields this time of year in a very long time. Good news is equipment is rolling. I stopped the truck at one intersection last yesterday and counted 5 fields that had combines in them. Things will change I think in the next few days and looking forward December could be incredible. For now we will keep pounding ground and hopefully get into better numbers as the crops keep coming out. Good luck to all still at it!

Roadscholar

I think you may hit things perfect. Crops are coming out quick. Combines and grain trucks everywhere doing their thing.

We finished harvest up yesterday west of Mitchell. While eliminating the cover, I don't personally see a marked improvement in the number of birds seen in the corn or the milo. Hunter numbers seemed way down in both upland and deer.

Heard the same about deer hunter numbers being down from the usual where we hunt.

As for birds, I think it's spotty as folks have pointed out. Where the moisture and temps were decent, there was decent cover and not surprisingly a decent number of birds. Where the moisture and temps were hard on the cover and hatch the birds are down. Also not surprising. Just my .02.