Page 3 of 16 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Raise out of state fees!!

Quote Originally Posted by fishpond View Post
    Increasing fees won't increase ethics!
    Not necessarily an out of state problem.
    So true......I am done with all the work I have put into my properties here after this season. I plant food plots,shrubs and mixed grasses for pheasant habitat. They have flourished

as a result. After all the trespassers this year and poaching of other species, that will all be gone next year....It will be plowed to black dirt to erase any habitat at all. Hundreds of

acres. I tried to establish an incubator to produce the wildlife so the surrounding areas would have game, but when they enter the incubator without permission time and time

again it is time for it to go. I see very little for ethics in this area.

I'm an out of state hunter too and am happy to pay my dues to come hunt. But I'm curious how @AteUp could tell they slaughtered a whole covey. Sounds like a bunch of BS to me. Unless he was out in the field hunting with them, I doubt he could tell how many birds they killed. I hunt with a bunch of friends and it sounds like a war zone when a covey of quail, or a single pheasant gets up. Some of my buddies just can't shoot, but they love to unload their guns. I'd be willing to bet $10,000 to any group that could "slaughter" a whole covey of quail. (Please don't do it, I'm just trying to make a point) It's impossible. I've been hunting quail in Western Oklahoma for 30 years and I've killed 6 or 7 out of a covey (stupid) but never seen a whole covey eliminated. I'm gonna guess @AteUp is just frustrated about some hunters enjoying one of his prime places. For the most part, guys that travel to hunt are pretty good fellas. There are a few jerks, but that's life in general. Don't generalize the whole group based on a couple idiots.

Quote Originally Posted by JO BO View Post
    So true......I am done with all the work I have put into my properties here after this season. I plant food plots,shrubs and mixed grasses for pheasant habitat. They have flourished

as a result. After all the trespassers this year and poaching of other species, that will all be gone next year....It will be plowed to black dirt to erase any habitat at all. Hundreds of

acres. I tried to establish an incubator to produce the wildlife so the surrounding areas would have game, but when they enter the incubator without permission time and time

sorry to hear that.......there are many of us who appreciate your efforts. probably a few of us who would throw in a couple hundred bucks for the habitat work you are doing, plus post the ground and have some chance to hunt it exclusively. thanks for your efforts.

Quote Originally Posted by JO BO View Post

I'd question the ethics of a man who would salt the earth to spite a couple trespassers, but I'm a Kansan, and the people that brought me up weren't all that fragile and didn't quit easy.

Quote Originally Posted by AteUp View Post
    Watched an out of state group slaughter a 12-15 bird covey this afternoon.
    Need to either raise fees or have two 5 day periods like other states. I know everyone is not like that
    bur seen it enough to know to many are.

Oh, the old out-of-stater boogeyman...

If a person really wanted to recommend a policy change to help quail and pheasant populations, out-of-state hunting is way, way down on the list of meaningful changes. The top would be changing the way Kansas farmers treat the land and the way the state government manages it's paucity of public land.

i do wish kansas would push the quail opener back about 2 weeks. money wont stop or help anything really. but i do think that if the quail season was shorter it would help the survival rate. i know big groups are hard on the quail especially if they arnt having any luck finding the roosters to knock down, but thats not just a out of state thing. i can hunt quail around home, so when i get out into pheasant country i dont typically target them. not saying i wont shoot a couple but hardly ever seem to take more than 1 bird out of a covey. theres plenty of covies out there hunt to multiple covies a day.

Quote Originally Posted by s.davis View Post
    I'd question the ethics of a man who would salt the earth to spite a couple trespassers, but I'm a Kansan, and the people that brought me up weren't all that fragile and didn't quit easy.
    Excuse me! I would never "salt" the ground. I will simply convert it into crop land to produce food etc. The land I have in habitat is all free from any government

payments or help from anyone. I invested all my own resources and time into them instead of using them for personal profit. The only payback was to see wildlife

flourish.

I am not so "fragile" as you put it to quit easily..this has been a nearly decade long fight against those who disrespect the rights of others. The peaceful enjoyment

of one's land etc. Not related to you, but my current poaching case is with someone from Kansas for shooting a deer on my over posted property.

I am in favor of not letting out of state hunters hunt for the first week of the season.

Quote Originally Posted by ksjc98 View Post
    I am in favor of not letting out of state hunters hunt for the first week of the season.
    I am in favor of not letting residents hunt WIHA for the first week of the season.

Quote Originally Posted by hunter94 View Post
    I am in favor of not letting residents hunt WIHA for the first week of the season.
    Funny but non residents probably do more for the wiha program than res. kdwp has to match 25 percent of P-R funds. Without nr dollars I doubt kdwp would have it.