Page 20 of 20 FirstFirst ... 10181920

Thread: Raise out of state fees!!

Quote Originally Posted by westksbowhunter View Post
    That has been my point all along. Our management system is set up to capitalize on non resident hunters. It is squeezing out new resident hunters and phasing out the old hunters. We have so many special seasons and long seasons. Outfitters love it. How many 16 year old hunters can afford an outfitter or a lease?
    16-year-old hunters should be looking for adult mentors. And if a kid asks to go hunting, we should take them. Honestly, a 16 year old probably has a WAAAAAY better chance of knocking on a door and getting access compared to me. ha...

I see your point about how the growth of leasing might be an unintended side effect of long seasons and minimal regs. On the other hand, long seasons and minimal regs have been great for me too. I get my "any season", "any whitetail" tag and I am good to go until I get my deer. It's great. I feel like I can still fulfill my obligations to family and work and there's plenty of time to work in a deer hunt here and there.

Maybe there's a way to address your concerns about leasing without ditching this really user-friendly system we have now.

If leasing is the problem, regulate leasing. There are lots of common sense solutions, make landowners who lease private ground for hunting provide public access to an equivalent amount of acreage. Tax leases at higher rates and invest the money in funding public access or the wildlife department, etc. I’m sensitive to the leasing problem and the increasing gentrification of hunting, but anyone who thinks leasing is the root cause of hunter decline is misdiagnosing the ailment very, very badly. The opposite is more likely to be causally linked.

Quote Originally Posted by Toad View Post
    16-year-old hunters should be looking for adult mentors. And if a kid asks to go hunting, we should take them. Honestly, a 16 year old probably has a WAAAAAY better chance of knocking on a door and getting access compared to me. ha...

I see your point about how the growth of leasing might be an unintended side effect of long seasons and minimal regs. On the other hand, long seasons and minimal regs have been great for me too. I get my "any season", "any whitetail" tag and I am good to go until I get my deer. It's great. I feel like I can still fulfill my obligations to family and work and there's plenty of time to work in a deer hunt here and there.

Maybe there's a way to address your concerns about leasing without ditching this really user-friendly system we have now.
    The problem with the any season tag is that the majority of people who buy them don't understand that they can't use them on mule deer. Even hunters from the east side buy them and then go out west and tag a mule deer not knowing or get a ticket from a warden . Happens very frequently. The biggest issue is how they are sold. Vendors don't ask you what tag you want they just automatically give you the any season tag. As far a a 16 year old kid or even younger, well at that age I educated myself on the ways of the woods. I would just take off explorer or hunting not having to worry about getting chased off of someones lease. Purple paint everywhere keeps kids out. A high school kid should be able to go hunting on his own without an adult.

Quote Originally Posted by s.davis View Post
    If leasing is the problem, regulate leasing. There are lots of common sense solutions, make landowners who lease private ground for hunting provide public access to an equivalent amount of acreage. Tax leases at higher rates and invest the money in funding public access or the wildlife department, etc. I’m sensitive to the leasing problem and the increasing gentrification of hunting, but anyone who thinks leasing is the root cause of hunter decline is misdiagnosing the ailment very, very badly. The opposite is more likely to be causally linked.
    Well our KDWPT sites leasing as one of the major causes of hunter decline.