Page 19 of 20 FirstFirst ... 917181920 LastLast

Thread: Raise out of state fees!!

this is a topic that is polarizing in terms of how the position of res. vs. non-res view the matter. It's probably no longer deer hunting, but 'large' deer hunting that gobbles up land. Let's not pretend there aren't plenty of resdience leasing up ground to maintain access and prevent other residence from access to ground becasue it easier t just pay if you have the means. Same issues with leased ground exists in Missouri.

Deer hunting is simply easier, requires less ground and attracts the fringe hunter, unless of course you're hard core and that's only a small % of the deer hunters. Like an annual vacation and with that the costs that are justified by those hunters, who don't enter the field again until the next year...Not sure its the root of all the badness, but it certainly a variable that is a contributor on some level like many other things.

I really like putting a deer or two in the freezer. I have a bow, a gun, and a few tree stands. I mostly shoot does and forks, whatever comes by first when the weather is good so I can let the deer hang for a day or two before I process it myself. I'm very thorough in my processing, and we eat as much of the animal as possible. I don't think we've ever thrown out venison, it always gets eaten. I think I represent a lot more hunters than you think. Maybe the trophy guys are flooding the forums and facebook pages with their chest-beating, but most hunters I know are just trying to get outside, de-stress, and hopefully get some good meat for the family.

Deer hunting should NOT be more difficult. There should NOT be more barriers to entry. It should NOT be more expensive. There are a zillion whitetails all over this state. In many areas of the state, the most sound management plan would be to cull the herd a bit and thin out the numbers. The rules should remain simple and user-friendly, and the tags should remain easily accessible and reasonably priced.

Hunting needs to remain as "inclusive" as possible, or it is a tradition that will end when we are gone.
    My .02

I’m with you. As sportsmen I think we all should be concerned with encouraging the sport of hunting not discounting it. As I read so many of the posts on UPH they seem to talk about all the reasons one shouldn’t not why one should hunt. I read too often of hunters complaining it’s too warm or too cold too much snow too muddy too many hunters no birds no cover too much cover. I maintain Kansas is one of the best kept secrets in the nation when it comes to hunting. Over the years some of them my best hunting was when the weather was at its worst. Good hunting is more about learning as much as you can about the game you’re going after. Learn their habits their movements how weather affects their patterns and where you could expect to find them at any time of the day or in any type of weather Then get out and scout and be adaptable. This site will be much more beneficial to fellow hunters/sportsman rather than talk of raising out of state fees and discouraging the future of hunting tradition.

Well said Toad !

Quote Originally Posted by Toad View Post
    I really like putting a deer or two in the freezer. I have a bow, a gun, and a few tree stands. I mostly shoot does and forks, whatever comes by first when the weather is good so I can let the deer hang for a day or two before I process it myself. I'm very thorough in my processing, and we eat as much of the animal as possible. I don't think we've ever thrown out venison, it always gets eaten. I think I represent a lot more hunters than you think. Maybe the trophy guys are flooding the forums and facebook pages with their chest-beating, but most hunters I know are just trying to get outside, de-stress, and hopefully get some good meat for the family.

Deer hunting should NOT be more difficult. There should NOT be more barriers to entry. It should NOT be more expensive. There are a zillion whitetails all over this state. In many areas of the state, the most sound management plan would be to cull the herd a bit and thin out the numbers. The rules should remain simple and user-friendly, and the tags should remain easily accessible and reasonably priced.

Hunting needs to remain as "inclusive" as possible, or it is a tradition that will end when we are gone.
    My .02

Quote Originally Posted by kick them up View Post
    Well said Toad !
    Exactly! Well said.

Quote Originally Posted by Toad View Post

My .02
    If you want deer hunting to become less difficult then you need to find a way to decrease leasing. It is about impossible for a teenage kid to get started in hunting simply because access if very limited. And not just young hunters but any newcomers. Hunting numbers are on the decline and the biggest reason is leasing. Why do we have leasing? One because of a selfish business man in Ohio who wanted the inclusion of crossbows. Same thing happened when a small group wanted an early muzzle loader season. Then 1995 happened. Then 5 month seasons. Then any season tags. Pretty soon we have a small group of hunters and an exploding number of outfitters leasing everything. Funny thing Toad, when we had all the barriers like bowhunters ed, an age limit of 12, and a 3 month season we had a lot more resident hunters than we do now. While your theory may sound good to those who don't spend much time in the woods, it actually has the opposite effect of what you advocate. You want to increase resident hunter numbers, then you need to cut way back on non resident tags, shorten seasons, and make a hunter choose a weapon and a season. Make changes back towards the original management plan, then you will see young kids getting back into hunting. Our system does not promote youth hunting, it promotes Outfitters and money for the state of Kansas. Your "Easy Button" has had a negative effect on hunting and those who simply want to put meat in the freezer can't find a place to hunt. Inclusion is hurting numbers of residents. Inclusion of crossbows into the bow season has been one of the worst decisions ever.
    Last edited by westksbowhunter; 08-16-2019 at 06:28 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by westksbowhunter View Post
    If you want deer hunting to become less difficult then you need to find a way to decrease leasing. It is about impossible for a teenage kid to get started in hunting simply because access if very limited. And not just young hunters but any newcomers. Hunting numbers are on the decline and the biggest reason is leasing. Why do we have leasing? One because of a selfish business man in Ohio who wanted the inclusion of crossbows. Same thing happened when a small group wanted an early muzzle loader season. Then 1995 happened. Then 5 month seasons. Then any season tags. Pretty soon we have a small group of hunters and an exploding number of outfitters leasing everything. Funny thing Toad, when we had all the barriers like bowhunters ed, an age limit of 12, and a 3 month season we had a lot more resident hunters than we do now. While your theory may sound good to those who don't spend much time in the woods, it actually has the opposite effect of what you advocate. You want to increase resident hunter numbers, then you need to cut way back on non resident tags, shorten seasons, and make a hunter choose a weapon and a season. Make changes back towards the original management plan, then you will see young kids getting back into hunting. Our system does not promote youth hunting, it promotes Outfitters and money for the state of Kansas. Your "Easy Button" has had a negative effect on hunting and those who simply want to put meat in the freezer can't find a place to hunt. Inclusion is hurting numbers of residents. Inclusion of crossbows into the bow season has been one of the worst decisions ever.

you can thank KDWP for being unable to say no.....it's all about the money, it always is.

Quote Originally Posted by hunter94 View Post
    you can thank KDWP for being unable to say no.....it's all about the money, it always is.
    That has been my point all along. Our management system is set up to capitalize on non resident hunters. It is squeezing out new resident hunters and phasing out the old hunters. We have so many special seasons and long seasons. Outfitters love it. How many 16 year old hunters can afford an outfitter or a lease?
    Last edited by westksbowhunter; 08-16-2019 at 07:27 PM.

There are about 20000 nonresident deer tags sold a year. The other 80 percent come for walkin hunting.

Quote Originally Posted by BrownDogsCan2 View Post
    There are about 20000 nonresident deer tags sold a year. The other 80 percent come for walkin hunting.
    Yep and 80% of the leasing is a result of those tags. There was a lot of WIHA that was pulled this year and went to a lease, and it wasn't for "Walkin Hunting". Just wait another 10 years.