Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Opening day reports?

Yeah that's a good haunt.

Quote Originally Posted by Stel67 View Post
    Saw a lot of birds but only got 3 between three guys? Where the birds you saw in fields you could hunt or just saw them while driving? Generally I see a lot of birds on lands not open to hunting, but I did not even see that this weekend.
    All the birds were seen while walking the fields. Probably saw 70+ birds but not many in range other than hens. Walked a small corner and had 15-20 hens all get up together. We hunted all private between Akron and Yuma. The birds we did get all came up at once in a small treeline just south of Otis.

Smdmz. Good job on the morals. 5 years of loss of hunting privilege is penalty for hunting while trespassing. No rooster is worth that.

Thanks hunter94 and JHoch00, the encouragement is appreciated. That's a good point about the 5yrs - that makes me feel a lot better about the choice. I plan on knocking on the landowner's door next weekend to see if I can't find that damn rooster again.

Hunted the Holyoke area for two days and kicked up around 25+ birds, mostly hens. Harvested 4 roosters over the two days. All the birds were flushing early 50-60 yards out had only one bird that would hold to point. We were hunting three dogs and five Hunters.

Hey Guys, I hunted around the Burlington area and did find some birds but all were in standing corn, there were three of us and we each shot 2. I didn't get any video opening day but when I went back on Tuesday a little further south of Burlington then I did video and also found some Quail which I had forgotten how fast those buggers are. 6 shots 1 quail 5 shots three pheasant. The last pheasant came up after my battery died.

https://youtu.be/9Une2l9cooQ

Awesome video. Great hunt. I have never hunted a corn field. You have me interested.

Quote Originally Posted by EddieMc View Post
    Hey Guys, I hunted around the Burlington area and did find some birds but all were in standing corn, there were three of us and we each shot 2. I didn't get any video opening day but when I went back on Tuesday a little further south of Burlington then I did video and also found some Quail which I had forgotten how fast those buggers are. 6 shots 1 quail 5 shots three pheasant. The last pheasant came up after my battery died.

https://youtu.be/9Une2l9cooQ
    Great video. Corn looked like it was hailed out. Good job on limiting out!
    "When I am not hunting I am thinking about hunting. Hunting is on my mind because it is in my blood."
    -- Jim Shockey

Quote Originally Posted by walk213 View Post
    Awesome video. Great hunt. I have never hunted a corn field. You have me interested.
    I actually like the standing corn better because it forces the birds high so I get an easier shot.

Quote Originally Posted by Uplandhunter67 View Post
    Great video. Corn looked like it was hailed out. Good job on limiting out!
    Seems everything is hailed out but the birds seem to have made it just fine.