Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Help

lockedncupped, sent you a PM.

Around jewell county and down towards Salina isn't too bad a haul from where you are. We have hunted there and west for years. Should definitely find some quail and the occasional rooster. Look for newly cut milo fields (if there are any yet). I would avoid standing milo. Obviously don't walk in a farmer's standing crop but even CRP around standing milo is usually sparse.

Quote Originally Posted by duckn66 View Post
    Head west 2-3 hours as said. If it were me Iíd head to the Russell area. You should find a nice mixed bag there. Just be prepared for the crowds. Hit up Wilson lake and the wiha around there and north of there. Quail, phez and chickens. Make sure you have your chicken permit though.

Clay center is on the eastern edge of phez country these days. There are a few there but your best bet is still west of there.

You can pm me if you would like and Iíll help you all I can. I know how bad it sucks to travel a long way only to find out itís not what you thought.

Iíll be killing mallards in the timber in the morning but will be home in the evening.
    my advice for next season......get west of Salina for sure. quail and phez both west of there all the way to the Colorado border.. wait until after TG. the crowds are gone, most of the crops are out (harvest late this year out west, due to fall rains)......during the week you will have it by yourself. then you will have some success knocking on doors and getting permission on private ground.....deer season this year 11-28 until 12-09, can be a little hectic on weekends especially, although not bad IMO good luck..

Duckn66 you having any luck with the ducks,heading that way first week of December to pheasant hunt ,but also looking to get some duck hunting in also,coming from va.

Quote Originally Posted by lonetree View Post
    Duckn66 you having any luck with the ducks,heading that way first week of December to pheasant hunt ,but also looking to get some duck hunting in also,coming from va.
    We have a few ducks around now. Will get another push around the time you will be here.

Quote Originally Posted by duckn66 View Post
    Head west 2-3 hours as said. If it were me Iíd head to the Russell area. You should find a nice mixed bag there. Just be prepared for the crowds. Hit up Wilson lake and the wiha around there and north of there. Quail, phez and chickens. Make sure you have your chicken permit though.

Clay center is on the eastern edge of phez country these days. There are a few there but your best bet is still west of there.

You can pm me if you would like and Iíll help you all I can. I know how bad it sucks to travel a long way only to find out itís not what you thought.

Iíll be killing mallards in the timber in the morning but will be home in the evening.
    Just a note... Chickens are closed until next weekend.. Donít shoot any.
    "When I am not hunting I am thinking about hunting. Hunting is on my mind because it is in my blood."
    -- Jim Shockey

Quote Originally Posted by Uplandhunter67 View Post
    Just a note... Chickens are closed until next weekend.. Don’t shoot any.
    Oh snap! Good catch!! Sorry about that!

A farmer friend of mine ( BIG farmer and hunter ) west of Bellville told me three days ago that he hasn’t seen any pheasants at all this year and very few last year. He farms alot of ground and is obviously in the field a great deal...just passing that along FWIW.

Thanks for all the help guys how did around Belleville yesterday saw one rooster three Hans to cubbies of quail....lol iím driving so talk to text and I canít correct it that would be unsafe. Went between Russell in Hayes today but up a Hen and one copy a quail got soaking wet feet pissed off Iím going home. I couldíve drove to more hours in honey my honey holes and South Dakota Iím kind of bummed out but now I know

Wouldnít go home. You need to get away from the interstate and the big towns.