Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 47

Thread: Dog ranging Out to far

  1. #1

    Default Dog ranging Out to far

    Does anyone know of an e-collar system that you can set up to correct the dog if it ranges out too far? I have a Dratharr that wants to get too far out and flush birds, he'll case pheasant that run I'd like to find a collar that automatically corrects him if he gets out more than 40 yards

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Oct 2016
    Location
    Sioux Falls, SD
    Posts
    625

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MAcDonTom1 View Post
    Does anyone know of an e-collar system that you can set up to correct the dog if it ranges out too far? I have a Dratharr that wants to get too far out and flush birds, he'll case pheasant that run I'd like to find a collar that automatically corrects him if he gets out more than 40 yards
    So....zaps him without you pushing a button? My personal opinion is that if you want your dog zapped, you should be in full control of it & take full responsibility for administering said zap. Interesting idea though. Breaks 40 yards (adjustable). Gets a zap. 5 minute delay (adjustable). Breaks 40 yds again. Gets another zap. Not aware of one that'll do that, but the technology is obviously available.
    "Most pheasants in South Dakota don't react too well to #5s." -The Hunt for Red Rooster

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Nov 2016
    Posts
    34

    Default

    Don't think such a thing exists. PetSafe makes one for your yard, but you would need to wear it on a backpack w/ a 120VAC power source.

    Might also want to consider if you really want to teach the dog it is OK to range at 40 yds, or that they should be punished for pursuing a winged bird that is landing beyond 40 yds.

  4. #4

    Default

    Agree with Bob. What happens when he flushes one at 35 yards and gets zapped as he's sprinting to run down a cripple? That's not a stimulus I'd want him to feel when trying to run down a bird. I don't use e-collars with my golden, just a whistle to keep him tight when he starts ranging further, but I couldn't imagine hitting him with something negative when he's trying to run down a winged bird. I shoot I want him to get the best start he can on it especially if he has it marked. I'm sure the guys that hunt with e-collars will chime in and know better than me on this.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Oct 2016
    Location
    Sioux Falls, SD
    Posts
    625

    Default

    Good points. Cool idea. There seem to be instances when an auto zapper would be convenient for the hunter, but too many situations where it could be a detriment to the dog (& therefore to the hunter & his hunt).
    "Most pheasants in South Dakota don't react too well to #5s." -The Hunt for Red Rooster

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jul 2015
    Location
    Mid Missouri
    Posts
    763

    Default

    I would say you need one with a tone or vibration button on it. That way you can hit that instead of zapping them. They catch on pretty quick. But I do not agree with at all hitting the button everytime the dog gets past 40 yards. You will discourage him from hunting. The dog will slowly lose desire to hunt, and think that its job is to just stay close to the master no matter what, even if it smells a bird 10 yards beyond its limit. Does the dog not point? Arent they a pointing dog? I think the reinforcement of "whoa" and not creeping on point is what you are looking for here. If they point a bird too far out and flush it because they are to close to it, they will gradually learn to keep their distance. Or at that point you can hit the tone button to stop them. Assuming you teach them to stop with tone. Example: My little setter does flush pheasants sometimes because she gets too close and she's too far out for me to shoot. It gets up, she gives chase, I immediately hit the vibrate button to keep her from chasing it. Then when I get to her I release her again. Then usually the next time she holds from a distance where I can get the bird. Then she may go bump another one and I repeat the process. But having the dog shocked like you have a constant invisible fence around you in a 40 yard circle is asking quite a bit from an animal and I don't think it will be beneficial to your dog or you finding more birds.
    Some people talk about it, some people live it!

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    2,125

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by PheasantWhisperer View Post
    I would say you need one with a tone or vibration button on it. That way you can hit that instead of zapping them. They catch on pretty quick. But I do not agree with at all hitting the button everytime the dog gets past 40 yards. You will discourage him from hunting. The dog will slowly lose desire to hunt, and think that its job is to just stay close to the master no matter what, even if it smells a bird 10 yards beyond its limit. Does the dog not point? Arent they a pointing dog? I think the reinforcement of "whoa" and not creeping on point is what you are looking for here. If they point a bird too far out and flush it because they are to close to it, they will gradually learn to keep their distance. Or at that point you can hit the tone button to stop them. Assuming you teach them to stop with tone. Example: My little setter does flush pheasants sometimes because she gets too close and she's too far out for me to shoot. It gets up, she gives chase, I immediately hit the vibrate button to keep her from chasing it. Then when I get to her I release her again. Then usually the next time she holds from a distance where I can get the bird. Then she may go bump another one and I repeat the process. But having the dog shocked like you have a constant invisible fence around you in a 40 yard circle is asking quite a bit from an animal and I don't think it will be beneficial to your dog or you finding more birds.
    excuse me, but it sounds like this dog needs more experience and wild bird contact.....chances are he will sort things out on his own, be patient, 40 yards is nothing for a DD.....i would want him to range out to 100-150 yards at least. he will soon learn to slow down and make/hold a point and not crowd his birds......my gwp (9 months old) is going through this now, i am going to let him figure it out on is own, 90% of good pointing dogs do this.....relax, let him learn, don't worry about shooting birds over him right now, let him develop.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Minnesoooota
    Posts
    2,578

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MAcDonTom1 View Post
    Does anyone know of an e-collar system that you can set up to correct the dog if it ranges out too far? I have a Dratharr that wants to get too far out and flush birds, he'll case pheasant that run I'd like to find a collar that automatically corrects him if he gets out more than 40 yards
    Nothing like that exists. I will assume for the moment that this may be a younger dog???

    Whoa trained? This is very important.

    Using the tone button or beeper on your collar if you have one can be a great tool when you want to recall them, but they have to be trained for it. Mine are conditioned to come on multiple beeps.
    Stimulating a dog hot on the trail of a bird can be very risky if the dog does NOT KNOW WHY it's being corrected. You do NOT want to project the wrong message to the dog.

    MY 2 cents.
    Last edited by birdshooter; 11-09-2018 at 01:57 PM.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    2,125

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by birdshooter View Post
    Nothing like that exists. I will assume for the moment that this may be a younger dog???

    Whoa trained? This is very important.

    Using the tone button or beeper on your collar if you have one can be a great tool when you want to recall them, but they have to be trained for it. Mine are conditioned to come on multiple beeps.
    Stimulating a dog hot on the trail of a bird can be very risky if the dog does NOT KNOW WHY it's being corrected. You do NOT want to project the wrong message to the dog.

    MY 2 cents.
    What birdshooter said. Let the dog learn on his own, e collar is dangerous if USED AT THE WRONG TIME. Then you can end up with multlple problems.

  10. #10

    Default

    My Britts tend to range close when birds are around and stretch out well past 40 yards when birds are thin.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •