Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Roads

Default Roads

With rain/ snow coming in on Thursday, and recent moisture will we be able to get down the roads out west without a Sherman tank???

Shouldn’t be a problem in SW Kansas

I got into some mud today, I had to use 4 high.

Quote Originally Posted by Goosemaster View Post
    I got into some mud today, I had to use 4 high.
    sandy soils will be fine. dirt roads..... will depend on how much snow/rain falls.

I saw some deep ruts on the dirt roads in SW Kansas this past weekend. They have dried up, but they were 6" deep and 75 yards long. I would have been scared if I were making them.

It doesn't take a lot of precip to make the dirt roads slicker than owl sheet, and local landowners don't like you ruttin them up. I used to go down them in my younger days, not quite as mad at them anymore. Plus it's no fun walking up to a farm door asking to get pulled out of the ditch, of the farm road you just tore up. There's lots of public access on gravel.

Be considerate of the locals. It may their door you knock on trying to gain access...or to get pulled out of ditch.

Now that's sound advice!!

We hunted the opener in 2015 in the NW corner of the state and got caught in the rain prior to the blizzard that dumped 20" of snow. We were in 4 wheel drive doing a couple of miles an hour trying to get to a blacktop road. No luck. We came to a curve and there was no way not to slide into the ditch. Had to walk a long ways to a farm. There was nothing we could do to prevent getting stuck.

We had light rain most of the day today and roads are already torn up. I expect a mess this weekend. Combines couldnt roll today. Farmers still planting wheat.

Quote Originally Posted by west ks bow hunter View Post
    We had light rain most of the day today and roads are already torn up. I expect a mess this weekend. Combines couldn't roll today. Farmers still planting wheat.
    going to be a tough opener for getting around, expect there will be lots of throttle jockeys getting stuck....the gumbo is the worst...you just can't get any traction, not really stuck or buried, just slipping.