Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: returned from 2nd trip

I hunted the Aberdeen area second weekend. Two days just my 1 yo lab and I, next two days with 2 more guys and 3 GSP. We walked a lot but shots limits all 4 days. Found birds in pockets and when we found them it was good hunting. We have hunted these public ground areas for 10+ years and this year saw better bird numbers and fewer hunters than the last 2 years.

Pheasant season only comes around once a year, hope you make the drive and have a great time.

Just got back from a 5 day trip. Hunted mainly between Aberdeen and Ipswich. Combination of walk in and private land. Just myself and my llewlyn setter. I was pleasantly surprised with the rebound of birds compared to last year, and was a little shocked at the lack of hunters. I got my limit each day. Was done by 2 pm every day with the exception of last Tuesday. Wind was gusting up to 35 mph, and the birds were really skitish. Shot my last bird at 4:45. Got soaked on Monday in the rain, but the hunting was incredible. Dog could really smell in the wet grass, and they were holding great. This was my 22nd consecutive year hunting in South Dakota, and this was by far the fewest number of hunters I've seen. Unlike last year, I did get into several nice groups of 25+ birds. I really didn't know what to expect, but you aren't going to find out sitting at home.

Really enjoyed seeing all the waterfowl as well. Tons of ducks, snows and cranes passing through. All in all a great trip. I love SD, and always get treated great. Enjoyed my annual trip to Chelsea Bar as well. Hole in the wall with great food and friendly staff.

Quote Originally Posted by ehudgens View Post
    Just got back from a 5 day trip. Hunted mainly between Aberdeen and Ipswich. Combination of walk in and private land. Just myself and my llewlyn setter. I was pleasantly surprised with the rebound of birds compared to last year, and was a little shocked at the lack of hunters. I got my limit each day. Was done by 2 pm every day with the exception of last Tuesday. Wind was gusting up to 35 mph, and the birds were really skitish. Shot my last bird at 4:45. Got soaked on Monday in the rain, but the hunting was incredible. Dog could really smell in the wet grass, and they were holding great. This was my 22nd consecutive year hunting in South Dakota, and this was by far the fewest number of hunters I've seen. Unlike last year, I did get into several nice groups of 25+ birds. I really didn't know what to expect, but you aren't going to find out sitting at home.

Really enjoyed seeing all the waterfowl as well. Tons of ducks, snows and cranes passing through. All in all a great trip. I love SD, and always get treated great. Enjoyed my annual trip to Chelsea Bar as well. Hole in the wall with great food and friendly staff.
    bravo!!!!!! nice report...

Just got back from 5 days in the NE side. Came home with my birds. Some days took 1 hour, some took all day. Dog work was great, but she was spent by the end. I never saw another upland hunter, but duck hunters were everywhere.

Sure beat the hell outta working. Hoping to make it back once or twice this year.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by mutthunt; 11-11-2018 at 02:56 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by mutthunt View Post
    Just got back from 5 days in the NE side. Came home with my birds. Some days took 1 hour, some took all day. Dog work was great, but she was spent by the end. I never saw another upland hunter, but duck hunters were everywhere.

Sure beat the hell outta working. Hoping to make it back once or twice this year.
    Nice looking dog! Congrats on the hunt.

Just got back from spending 7 days in SD, partly around Aberdeen and partly around Gettysburg. Way too much corn still in. I told my hunting buddy that came over from MN that we should wait another week because there would be more corn out this coming week than last week but he was concerned about weather. HA!! Weather THIS week looks great, last week was not great.

Good news, there are definitely a lot of birds, way more than last year. Getting on them was often a different story. Hunted a combination of public and private land, we got a good number of birds but only limited one day. The public pieces were pounded, clearly, but we still saw some birds.

I would love to go a week or so after Thanksgiving but I don't know if I'll be able to swing it. 18+ hours driving each way is tough duty, but I'm awfully tempted because I think December is really going to be good.

Good to hear, I'm headed out and will be hunting Friday morning. I'm glad to see your seeing good bird numbers with a lot of corn still standing.

Quote Originally Posted by mutthunt View Post

Love the look on your Dogs face! Glad you had success! SDviking

It really sounds great. In nonresident hunters are down 10% - 20% that just creates a more relaxing atmosphere and more opportunities for those that are out there.

Gave a buddy of mine a tip recently about where to go (generally) and he and a buddy hunted two spots today and got their 6 birds on the 2nd WPA they hunted. i just returned myself from being there the past 5 days...great hunt, lots of birds, corn coming down...no snow...decent temps, modest wind...fantastic!!!!