Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: returned from 2nd trip

Default returned from 2nd trip

have now spent 11 days hunting in SD...some full days, some not, depending on birds...overall, happy with what I am experiencing...corn coming out finally...weather has been decent, rained all day saturday, dogs loved that, hunters not so much, but not too bad...shooting was iffy first few days, improved a lot since then...retrieval % a lot better as well as temps dropped and some precip has fallen...dog work has been quite good...the two females now have 25 days in since 9/5 in MT, ND, SD...in good shape...me, not so much, but many of the days have been in the 10-12 mile range in SD, and many were above that sharpy hunting in ND...that is the fun for me! Love that walking, even at the expense of the hunting, which is probably better done at a snails pace, but I can't stand going slow...averaging roughly my limit per day in all three states, so I am not sacrificing too much by walking faster than is necessary...my irish setter 801 "havoc's" are dynamite! back on wed...can't wait!

I want to be you when I grow up!

With all the SD report threads I dont know where to post this but, Im planning to head to SD the week after Tgiving but with all the lackluster reports I am second guessing it. Ive gone to MT the past 5 yrs so I dont really have areas that I can drop into knowing Ive had recent past success. Would be hunting only public land no private. Was planning on the Aberdeen-ish area. One guy one Springer and dont know what to do.
    Make more sense to try to find a lone wild unicorn rooster around here? Sleep in my own bed at night? Save some money?
    Need to make a decision in a week or so...
    Decisions decisions...

Quote Originally Posted by UplandHntr View Post
    With all the SD report threads I dont know where to post this but, Im planning to head to SD the week after Tgiving but with all the lackluster reports I am second guessing it. Ive gone to MT the past 5 yrs so I dont really have areas that I can drop into knowing Ive had recent past success. Would be hunting only public land no private. Was planning on the Aberdeen-ish area. One guy one Springer and dont know what to do.
    Make more sense to try to find a lone wild unicorn rooster around here? Sleep in my own bed at night? Save some money?
    Decisions decisions...
    Don't really know much about the Aberdeen area, although I've heard good reports from up there. But....you're coming to hunt, right? Not just shoot 3 quick ones & sit around the rest of the day? A single guy & a decent dog (& you've definitely got the best kind) ;-) ought to have NO problem seeing some birds & probably shooting a limit each day on public land almost anywhere pheasants exist in this state if you have 1/2 a clue about how to hunt them (& it sounds like you probably do) & have the time. Go for it. Come spend your money here, shoot some birds & have a great time.
    "Most pheasants in South Dakota don't react too well to #5s." -The Hunt for Red Rooster

SD is SD. It's still probably the state producing the largest pheasant population every year. So, there's still a LOT of pheasant in SD.

However, it's spotty. Some places are pretty good and there's other places where the drought and a poor nesting/rearing season overall has made finding birds much more challenging than normal.

If you find an area that had a good Spring you'll probably be very happy with your results. If you work one of the drought stricken areas, you may be wondering where all the pheasants have gone.

We were in a pretty droughty area this year. Yeah, we shot some birds but not nearly as many as in previous years. Where it was once easy for everyone in the group to limit out, it was maybe 30-50% of the usual result. That's still a lot of birds though.

The concerning thing to us was that we did not flush or see anywhere near the usual number of hens. That does not bode well for that area next year.

So if I were you, I'd still go. Do the research as best you can and see if you can find the areas that had normal rainfall and a decent nesting season. And there's your challenge, right there.

Good luck!

Decisions decisions...
    Upland,
    I’m from Glenview. If it were me, I would stay home and scratch out a rooster nearby. 1 Guy, 1dog, good luck. Birds will flush / run wild. Our blockers shot 90% of birds and that was the 2nd weekend.
    Public ground gets pounded. Your best hunting is last hour. A 12 hour drive from IL to wait for the “golden hour” is a long way to go.
    I have been fortunate to hunt SD private land as well as public land and I would never hunt public land again. If you don’t care about bird numbers or shot opportunities then go. SD is a great State.

Decisions decisions...
    Sent you a PM

UplandHntr.....Buzz & I this afternoon on a SD Waterfowl Production Area in the Salem/Spencer area adjacent to picked corn. 1 guy. 1 springer. 1 hour. 3 shells.
    20 degrees & windy. 16 ga. Kent Bismuth, 1 oz. #5s.
    Not always this easy, but it's just not that difficult either (usually).
    Saw 2 other roosters that were just out of range & about 10 hens.
    You'll be just fine.
    1110181504c - Copy.jpg
    "Most pheasants in South Dakota don't react too well to #5s." -The Hunt for Red Rooster

Days like that make great memories. Good for you and Buzz!

I concur! Drove by several public areas today, only one had hunters, and that was North of Brookings...all the ones near my home area were vacant. There are birds, too...hunting has been excellent. I left today because I have a dog that has to be on the bench for at least ten days due to stitches and staples thanks to a barbed wire fence...it was damn cold and windy, too, so I decided to get out there Tuesday evening, and start my next hunt wednesday of this week, as it is supposed to be 50 degrees. Good Luck!