Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Social media feuds among outdoorsmen

Default Social media feuds among outdoorsmen

I read this, but I'm not a big fan if big game hunters, so I'll leave it at that.Im not a big fisherman, I eat what I catch, when I fish.I don't wear orange, and I don't pay to hunt.I get excellent hunting every year, because I am a professional.

Quote Originally Posted by Goosemaster View Post
    I read this, but I'm not a big fan if big game hunters, so I'll leave it at that.Im not a big fisherman, I eat what I catch, when I fish.I don't wear orange, and I don't pay to hunt.I get excellent hunting every year, because I am a professional.
    Your quote above could be somewhat true. But the article being posted talks about negative comments from others when someone tries to post success or has questions. I would say most of your comments about others are negative on here. You post alot of "thumbs down" when someone is trying to share their story or be positive. There are ways to do things and proper etiquette when talking to people. But some people tend to be very rude behind a keyboard. And since technology and the internet are going to have an effect on the way hunting goes in the future, people need to learn to use them in a mentoring manner. We as adults know how to hunt, but for kids or first timers, the first thing they do is search the internet for things they need and advice to be successful. I personally do not let my daughter on hunting forums because shes 15, already excited about hunting, and I dont want her to read negative literature about something we both love. My 2 cents.
    Some people talk about it, some people live it!

Here's a personal experience with a scolding outdoorsman. I was fly fishing on a famous river of the mountain west. I hooked a big trout and was playing it a bit due to light tippet. A nearby fisherman - a complete stranger - remarks to his buddy in a loud voice intended for me to hear that, in so many words, what I was doing with the fish was all wrong. Should that happen again and it is legal to keep the fish, I'll bring it ashore and kill it (I love eating trout). I am always somewhat relieved when I go trout fish some place and there are people fishing by means other than fly fishing.
    Last edited by BritChaser; 11-20-2018 at 03:17 PM.
    - From the office of Browning, Colt, Winchester & Savage
    - Kansas: Big Cock Country

I'm not a big fan if big game hunters
    Some years ago a retiring Kansas game warden had an article in the KS wildlife magazine reminiscing about his years afield. One bit of info stunned me: He said that he had never checked a deer camp where everybody was legal and on the up and up. Never.
    - From the office of Browning, Colt, Winchester & Savage
    - Kansas: Big Cock Country

That does not surprise me.In Montana, most big game hunters are uneducated hicks.They are the reason bird hunters can't gain access .

I agree, but I an also trying to educate people. My point is,you don't have to pay, to get excellent hunting, you don't need to wear orange, you don't need to be a big game Hunter, you don't need to release fish over 12 inches, you don't need to spend money on dog training, they will learn it on their own.

because I am a professional.

This suggests that you make a living or partial living on the outdoors ...

Quote Originally Posted by BritChaser View Post
    Some years ago a retiring Kansas game warden had an article in the KS wildlife magazine reminiscing about his years afield. One bit of info stunned me: He said that he had never checked a deer camp where everybody was legal and on the up and up. Never.
    That's a startling comment from a warden. Most Wisconsin deer hunters I know are legit, ethical hunters. Sure, there are always slobs out there, as there are in any sport, but "never"?

We got stopped coming out of County land on our way back to camp for lunch during the WI deer season some years ago. Wardens checked the 3 of us, rifles cased and empty, licences OK, good to go. The next vehicle, however, was not good to go. Both men had loaded rifles in the pickup cab with them. One had a look of dismay, bumming badly, as the warden unloaded the rifle. The other slob had a look of pure defiance. They deserved whatever fine they received.
    Born to hunt. Forced to work.

No education necessary. And you're right, dont have to pay to play if you dont want too. Just like you don't have to pay the neighborhood kid to mow your yard. I choose to because the kid wants to make money and he does a good job. And it stimulates the economy when you pay for services. But yes I can mow my own yard. And I've also been to Montana hunting. It's nothing like you describe at all. I never saw another hunter whether it was big game or upland. Saw one group of waterfowlers the 2nd day. Most ranchers, once they found out that we were hunting pheasants, said "go right ahead" like it wasn't a big deal at all. If there are pay to play big ranches up there, which, Im sure there are, but I did not see or even hear of any. And on top of that there is countless miles of ground to hunt. My point is: it's not hard to hunt in montana. But in other parts of the world, it can be. So people pay to play and its their given right too. I don't normally but I have before because it was a spur of the moment trip and there was not much public ground where we were going, and it was a short trip. No time to scout. You already pay to hunt. Unless you dont buy a license. But you should be a fan of people that pay to play, if they are paying to hunt then that leaves more non-pay hunt land for you! So quit complaining about nothing!!!
    Some people talk about it, some people live it!