Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 32

Thread: Permission to hunt

  1. #11
    Join Date
    Nov 2016
    Posts
    34

    Default

    We had an interesting experience recently in SD, close to Aberdeen. We hunt almost exclusively public land, but as we were driving around saw a birdy-looking little cat tail by the road. There were a few guys getting tractors and trucks ready to work the cut field. We pulled up to where they were, introduced ourselves and asked if we could go hunt that little spot by the road. The guy we spoke to said no problem, just watch your shooting – keep it directed away from their guys and equipment. Great – no problem. We unloaded the dogs and off we went into the little spot.

    Kicked up a few birds in short order and we were to the other end of the spot in about 10 minutes – It was maybe a 1 acre cat tail. As we started back to the truck, one of those huge new green tractors came roaring over to us (from where we just were) and the guy in the seat came stomping out. He asked if we had permission to hunt there and I told him yes – we just spoke to the guy he was with (though he was not in the conversation) over by the road (100 yards away). He proceeded to cuss and f-bomb me as I stood there looking at him – told me that we could not be there without landowner permission and that the group he was with was an outside company and did not have authority to grant permission. When I asked why the other guy could not have just told us that and why he said yes – go ahead, he said we must be idiots because we did not recognize that their mismatched T-shirts had small logos on them – In his mind that is clearly a ‘uniform’ we should have recognized. The ‘sorry we had a misunderstanding’ did not register.

    Again, this was a 1-acre roadside cat tail and we parked with their trucks and talked to his guy – he was on a tear like he caught us sneaking over a hill and past no trespassing signs to walk his groomed sorghum strips. He continued to try a get a rise out of me – attempting to impress because he could cuss and yell – so I told him to go snap a picture of our license plate and call the GFP and Sheriff if that floats his boat, but I would not be wasting any more time on him. Not surprisingly, we have not heard back from anyone – I expect a bit more intelligence and reason from law enforcement.

    Long story, but the takeaway is that unless you are willing to ID who is giving you permission and verify they have the authority, there is risk in ‘getting permission’. This was never a scenario I had imagined would happen so thought I would share – might be worth some effort to verify authority. Hard to imagine anything coming from what happened, but it could put you in a defensive position where it’s just the word of a local vs. an invading out-of-stater. We attempted to find the landowner afterwards, but like much land this is wrapped up in a trust, which is part of a LLC, which shares the same name as hundreds of the county's residents - never could get anyone on the phone.

  2. #12
    Join Date
    Oct 2016
    Location
    Sioux Falls, SD
    Posts
    720

    Default

    Wow. Too bad you ran into a) one person who didn't want to be reasonable & b) another who didn't know it's not his place to grant permission.

    Because finding & contacting the actual landowner can be SOOO incredibly difficult these days, & because I don't need to find a ton of birds to satisfy a big group, I spend very little time trying to procure permission on private land any more. But I've done a lot of it. After introduction & pleasantries, the next words out of my mouth are, "Do you own that?" If the answer is, "No," then maybe they can tell me who does & how best to contact that person. But I've had many people tell me things like, "Yeah, that's Frank's land. He's into town today, but he lets people hunt. Go ahead. He won't mind." Or, "The lady who owns that lives in Timbuktu & never, ever comes here. It'd be fine if you walked that."

    NO. WAY. Even if I talk to someone who leases the land & says yes, I ask, "Do you feel you're in the position to give me permission? I don't want to put you in a bad spot." Although I believe it rarely happens, I think the letter of the law states that thou shalt have WRITTEN permission to hunt somebody's land. But at a minimum, I always make every attempt to talk to the actual owner, or at a bare minimum, someone who says they have the authority to grant me permission. And I GET NAMES. And....even if it seems like the boundaries of a pheasanty little spot are clear, ALWAYS clarify with the landowner what IS his land & what ISN'T. The potential problems just aren't worth it.
    "Most pheasants in South Dakota don't react too well to #5s." -The Hunt for Red Rooster

  3. #13
    Join Date
    Nov 2016
    Posts
    34

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by A5 Sweet 16 View Post
    Wow. Too bad you ran into a) one person who didn't want to be reasonable & b) another who didn't know it's not his place to grant permission.

    Because finding & contacting the actual landowner can be SOOO incredibly difficult these days, & because I don't need to find a ton of birds to satisfy a big group, I spend very little time trying to procure permission on private land any more. But I've done a lot of it. After introduction & pleasantries, the next words out of my mouth are, "Do you own that?" If the answer is, "No," then maybe they can tell me who does & how best to contact that person. But I've had many people tell me things like, "Yeah, that's Frank's land. He's into town today, but he lets people hunt. Go ahead. He won't mind." Or, "The lady who owns that lives in Timbuktu & never, ever comes here. It'd be fine if you walked that."

    NO. WAY. Even if I talk to someone who leases the land & says yes, I ask, "Do you feel you're in the position to give me permission? I don't want to put you in a bad spot." Although I believe it rarely happens, I think the letter of the law states that thou shalt have WRITTEN permission to hunt somebody's land. But at a minimum, I always make every attempt to talk to the actual owner, or at a bare minimum, someone who says they have the authority to grant me permission. And I GET NAMES. And....even if it seems like the boundaries of a pheasanty little spot are clear, ALWAYS clarify with the landowner what IS his land & what ISN'T. The potential problems just aren't worth it.
    Good words of wisdom and I will be a bit more cautious next time (if there is one). This experience was a real downer for an otherwise great hunting trip (on public land). If I had responded to his attempts to get me riled up I could be sitting in jail.

  4. #14

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Woollybob View Post
    Good words of wisdom and I will be a bit more cautious next time (if there is one). This experience was a real downer for an otherwise great hunting trip (on public land). If I had responded to his attempts to get me riled up I could be sitting in jail.
    Hi Woollybob,

    don't let that bad experience spoil anything. That are strange ducks in all walks of life, period. Last year I had a guy accuse my wife and I of hunting his land, because I backed up into his lane and turned around! He was screaming at me, with his wife and kids in his truck, and my wife in mine. Did not set foot on his land. I just worked at diffusing the situation, we don't trespass, and he must have been having a bad day. beyond belief, but whatever. I'll also say I've had numerous very positive land owner discussions out there, so just let this negative stuff slide. good folks wash out the bad by a long shot. That's true in all walks of life, and Laura and I were not going to let something this silly ruin our always great experience in SD...¬Ö.and we did and always have a great time...¬Ö..

  5. #15

    Default

    You just ran into some rube, with no manners. I had the same thing happen to me onetime, and I just got in my truck, and drove off.I wasn't going to let some rube chew me out.

  6. #16
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    South Dakota
    Posts
    1,175

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Goosemaster View Post
    Isn't it a shame, that a few idiots can ruin the chances of real hunters gaining access to private land.Hunting, is slowly becoming commercialised, and it saddens me.I know South Dakota has better hunting than Montana, but pheasants are not a commodity, to be bargained for, like a sack of flour.Thank you for improving habitat, that's awesome. I know that all pheasant hunting, will eventually be pay hunting.Probably within 20 years.In that I mean, if you're not family, or friend, you will have to pay to hunt.Ive never been a group hunting guy, but I can see how it would be fun to stay on a farm, and hunt with the same guys every year.As a solo hunter, I can get on places that a group would not get on.So yeah, I get it, but it sort of rubs me the wrong way.
    You are right wild pheasants are not a commodity. Access to those pheasants in an environment that offers an opportunity for an enjoyable hunt with your sons and grandsons. Is marketable. It is fine that you do what you do, but others can do what they do too. It isn't much different than going golfing, and people pay for that.

  7. #17

    Default

    habitat is a commodity...that land could be used for many things...crops being one of them...wildlife habitat being one of them...pasture being one of them...and there are others uses for land...each choice has costs/consequences...

    I started bringing a guy out hunting back in 2006...he had primarily hunted public land in SD...i got a kick out of the fact that he would refer to the wildlife as belonging to "the state"...I did point out that the spots that had the most birds had no connection to the state...that private landowners had created habitat, which created great bird #'s...he thought corn alone created birds...I disabused him of that notion pretty quickly...yes, CRP/WRP, etc, do generate revenue for the landowner, so at some point the Federal Govt is involved...

    just one guys point of view...i do own land in SD, it is in a perpetual conservation easement...and I have costs annually to disk and plant food plots...spray for thistle...etc...not huge, but it is a meaningful amount of $ to me...like I have said before, there is plenty of pretty darned good public land in SD...if you use your internet tools carefully, it isn't too tough to figure out where there are decent bird #'s...

  8. #18

    Default

    What I don't get, is if South Dakota has great public hunting, why are these fancy, blue blood hunting farms all over the state? I don't get that.

  9. #19
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    South Dakota
    Posts
    1,175

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Goosemaster View Post
    What I don't get, is if South Dakota has great public hunting, why are these fancy, blue blood hunting farms all over the state? I don't get that.
    Because there are fancy blue blood hunters all over that want to hunt there. I do not offer a fancy blue blood hunt. It is a no frills do it yourself working mans hunt.

  10. #20

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Goosemaster View Post
    What I don't get, is if South Dakota has great public hunting, why are these fancy, blue blood hunting farms all over the state? I don't get that.
    pebble beach costs over $500 a round to play golf...and it is a public course! Some golf clubs cost over 100k to join...just join! A public course in Howard, SD costs about $20 per round...your choice. Some people like to rub shoulders with others who are impressed with money and status...because they are impressed with money and status! There's something for everybody!!!!

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •