Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Second Trip to SD

The trucks loaded, headed your way after church. Excited to get out there! I'll try to do a daily update. Thanks again everyone.
    Lee

Just returned from a two day trip hunting public in the North Central area. Birds were up from the past two years and hunting was good (weather even better!). Meet a real nice warden yesterday and chatted for a while, said most he's talked to are pleased with the hunting this year. Crops were coming out fast until the rain yesterday. The further North and West you go the more that has been cut. Once again, had a great time and can't wait to do it again.

Thanks for the crop harvest info KansasGsp. Can't wait to get out tomorrow!

Hey guys, Sorry for not posting anything yet. It's been a tough 3 days. Only 1 bird to show for it. Hunted hard every day. Monday the birds flushed wild, Tuesday it was windy as hell and we only flushed hens except for a rooster that was a crossing 45-50 yard shot, missed him. Yesterday got one about 50 yards from the truck. Thought this will be awesome and I proceeded to miss two more opportunities. At least we're seeing birds! Having a great time though!
    Lee

Quote Originally Posted by Lee192233 View Post
    Hey guys, Sorry for not posting anything yet. It's been a tough 3 days. Only 1 bird to show for it. Hunted hard every day. Monday the birds flushed wild, Tuesday it was windy as hell and we only flushed hens except for a rooster that was a crossing 45-50 yard shot, missed him. Yesterday got one about 50 yards from the truck. Thought this will be awesome and I proceeded to miss two more opportunities. At least we're seeing birds! Having a great time though!
    Lee
    Hey, that sounds exactly like our hunt the last 3 days. Snowing now and no wind so we are hoping today is better.

Got here on Saturday and have had some decent luck, although the conditions have been tougher than we can recall over the last 15 years or so. Two guys and my GSP have shot 20 in 5 days so far but we worked hard. Rain Saturday, rain Monday, high winds Tuesday. The birds were easy to find in the rain but getting them out in the wind Tuesday was really tough, next to impossible without some flushers. They just ran on my pointer.

Probably only going to hit it today and tomorrow and then hit the road. Even in tougher conditions, it's been a pretty good trip. Lots of birds, good to see. REALLY tempted to come back in a few weeks when more corn is gone. There's just so much corn not harvested yet.

Lastly, more deer than I can ever remember seeing. They're everywhere.

Finished up with 8 birds for the two of us. Was a fun trip. We were skunked the first two days. Got one Wednesday and the rest in the last two days. Figured out that we had to be within 100 yards of a crop field in good grass. Last year we found all our birds in the cattails. So we went off experience and wasted time where there weren't birds. Went to the DU banquet in Lake Norden last night and I won a rifle! That was fun. Good luck all!
    Lee