Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Second Trip to SD

Default Second Trip to SD

Hey all, Thanks for all the reports that are coming in. My good friend and I are heading out to Arlington again this year. Last year we did pretty well with 11 birds in 3 days hunting. I'm pretty revved up to get out there. We had a great time, the people are awesome and the hunting was pretty good. I have one question, are porcupines common in the eastern part of the state? Seems to be lots of reports of them. Thanks for any input!
    Lee

I've hunted the east part of the state for many, many years & have never even heard of someone running into a porcupine. This would be, say, from Howard east to the MN border. Not sure how far west you have to be in order to be concerned.
    Last edited by A5 Sweet 16; 10-31-2018 at 05:00 AM.
    "Most pheasants in South Dakota don't react too well to #5s." -The Hunt for Red Rooster

I have been hunting out in that area for 27 years, never encountered one...just spent 8 days there, returning Sunday and never even thought about porkies...

Thanks guys! That's what I thought. There were a bunch of reports on the SD forum. Must all be from further west. We don't have to worry about them here in WI, either. I really enjoyed hunting out there last year. We're heading out Sunday and coming home Saturday. Any thoughts on good places to eat? There's a couple good spots in Arlington. We're going to the Lake Poinsett DU banquet on Friday. We went last year and it was a hoot. Got to know some locals and gave back to an organization that puts grass on the ground. Thanks again.
    Lee

Carptom's report revealed several encounters with porkies and skunks. Three years ago my Max learned a hard lesson and tried to bite a porky - $180 vet bill to remove the quills.

We are hunting west river and I'll admit, this is a banner year for critters. Hopefully the dogs have learned their lesson, although one of our dogs (3-yr old) was hit twice. Fortunately we could remove the few quills from his mouth.

Max is a pointing Golden, learning this tactic at an early age. He'll lock on anything. Most of the time he won't move and I can grab him...but not always!

My suggestion: keep an eye on your dog and don't let him stray too far. If the dog is birdy and nothing flies, move to another area.

I've been going there for 20 years plus, almost entirely east of the river, and never come across one that I can recall. Knock on wood!

I shouldn't even say anything, but my dogs haven't been sprayed by a skunk yet. I know it's going to happen some day. Thanks again for your advice and insight guys. Any ideas on a good place to eat within an hour of Arlington?
    Lee

Mad Mary's in Flandreau.
    Pheasant Lounge in Brookings.
    "Most pheasants in South Dakota don't react too well to #5s." -The Hunt for Red Rooster

Quote Originally Posted by A5 Sweet 16 View Post
    Mad Mary's in Flandreau.
    Pheasant Lounge in Brookings.
    Thanks A5! We'll give at least one of your suggestions a shot. I'm going to bring my laptop and hopefully provide you guys some pics and reports as our hunt progresses.
    Thanks again,
    Lee

Quote Originally Posted by Lee192233 View Post
    Thanks A5! We'll give at least one of your suggestions a shot.
    I should have specified "in that order".